Hi vCampus Members,
We are excited to announce the availability of our next milestone: PI Server 2015 Beta, which includes both PI Data Archive 2015 Beta (3.4.395.11) and PI AF Client 2015 Beta (188.8.131.5298). Please note that since CTP1 back in May, the name of the release has changed from “PI Server 2014 R2” to “PI Server 2015” to more accurately reflect the release date of our final milestone.
For those of you that missed our CTP1 announcement, Beta showcases two of the major features of PI Server 2015: (1) the ability to store time series data with future time stamps and (2) the ability to migrate PI Batch data to PI Event Frames. As with any pre-release software, please review the accompanying documentation for features and limitations before proceeding too far. Please conduct your evaluation in a test environment, not a production environment.
Here’s a highlight of what’s new in Beta since CTP1:
- Upgrades are supported from 64-bit versions of PI Data Archive PR1 SP1x (3.4.375.80) and later, including CTP1.
- PI AF Client 2015 Beta (184.108.40.20698) is included.
- PI System Management Tools (SMT) 2015 Beta (220.127.116.11) is included.
- PI Collective Manager 2015 Beta (18.104.22.168) is included.
- PI SDK 2014 (22.214.171.1244) is included.
- PI Buffer Subsystem 126.96.36.199 is included.
- .NET Framework 4.5.2 is required and included.
- The path for future archives can now be specified.
- The limitation with 1-CPU machines has been removed, but 2+CPUs are recommended
- PI AF Client 2015 provides enhanced data access capabilities for future tags via AFDataPipe, AFDataCache, and new methods for specifically differentiating current value from end-of-stream value.
- Automatically created future archives always start with an initial size of 1 MB and grow dynamically.
- Automatically created future archives always have a duration of one calendar month: either 28, 29, 30, or 31 days.
- The location of automatically created future archives is completely independent from the location of automatically created historical archives; this location is initially specified during installation and can be changed afterwards with the PI SMT 2015 Archives plug-in.
- PI SMT 2015 Archives plug-in has been re-worked: there is a tab per server, there are separate tabs for historical and future archives, the automatic creation settings can be configured without using the PI SMT Tuning Parameters plug-in, disk free space and usage is displayed for the drives configured for automatic archive creation, etc.
- PI SMT 2015 Point Builder plug-in can create future tags from the “General” tab by setting “Future Data” to “Allow.”
- PI SMT 2015 CurrentValues plug-in returns the value at server’s current time for future tags instead of the SYSTEM digital state “Future Data Unsupported.”
- Attempts to write annotations to future tags are rejected with error “[-11170] Annotation not supported for future tags.” Support will be added before final release.
Migration of PI Batch data to PI Event Frames
- PI SMT MDB to AF Synchronization plug-in has been renamed to “PI SMT AF Link” to reflect the fact that it orchestrates both migration of the PI Module Database (MDB) to AF as well as the migration of PI Batch data to PI Event Frames.
- PI SMT AF Link has been enhanced to configure the appropriate security in PI AF to handle the migration.
- PI SMT AF Link has been enhanced to initiate analysis of the PI Batch Database before migration to PI Event Frames. It displays the results of the analysis, including any errors (organized by category), archive gaps, and missing PI Identity Mappings.
- PI SMT AF Link has been enhanced to initiate migration after analysis. During migration, it provides status updates; after migration, it displays a final report, including whether any names were changed or errors were encountered.
- PI Campaigns are migrated to PI Event Frames.
- Empty procedure names and batch IDs are accounted for during migration.
- The PI Unit index is forcefully synchronized with the MDB before analysis and migration.
- Migration uses a set of derived PI Event Frame templates: PICampaignMigrated, PIBatchMigrated, PIUnitBatchMigrated, PISubBatchMigrated_L1, PISubBatchMigrated_L2, PISubBatchMigrated_L3, and PISubBatchMIgrated_L4.
- The PI Batch Database is disabled for write access once migration has been initiated, causing write attempts to fail with error “[-19600] PI Batch Database is read-only because migration to PI Event Frames is in progress.”
- The PI Batch Database remains disabled for write access after migration completes, causing write attempts to fail with error “[-19601] PI Batch Database is read-only because migration to PI Event Frames has completed.”
PI Server 2015 Beta is available for you to download under the Pre-Release category in the vCampus download page. Just like before, if you have any questions or wish to provide feedback, please contact us at BetaPIServer@osisoft.com.
Thank you for your continued engagement.
PI Server Team