Exercise 3 - Once you have viewed the video on PI ACE Architectures and deployment of an ACE Calculation, please do the following:
- Identify the development environment and the production environment. The development box hosts the Visual Studio Framework for building the calculations while the production box (ACE Server) hosts the PI ACE Scheduler Windows service. Also identify the PI Data Archive against which the ACE Configuration information will be stored. The objective here , is to learn how to build and deploy ACE Calculations when a dedicated development box (Programming environment) and a dedicated ACE Server (that hosts the ACE Calculations) are available .
- From the development box, Using PI ACE Wizard, Create a simple PI ACE Calculation after identifying a simple business logic. Build, debug and test the code. Please don’t attempt to register the code using the PI ACE Wizard.
- Relocate the ACE Class library dll from the development box to the ACE Server.(Copy the directory for DLL from the ..\pipc\ACE\Class libraries\..\bin directory from the development box to the production box. Attempt to maintain the same directory structure.
- Ensure that the PI ACE Scheduler service on the ACE Server is started and start the deployed dll using the PI ACE Manager.
- From PI SMT Archive Editor, verify whether the ACE output tag (s) are updating as expected to the calculation logic. Additionally, build a trend to display the input and output tags using PI Processbook.
Development box: Computer with Visual Studio 2010/Visual Studio 2012. PI ACE Scheduler service (if exists on this box) should be disabled prior to start working on this exercise.
Production box: PI ACE Server hosting PI ACE Scheduler & PI ACE Manager