Exercise 4 - Once you have viewed the videos on PI ACE Load Balancing, please do the following:
- Identify a second PI ACE Scheduler machine that will host the ACE calculation that is currently residing in the first PI ACE Scheduler Machine. The objective of the move in this exercise is to reduce the computation load of the first PI ACE scheduler machine. Identify the ACE calculation (ACE Calculation built at the end of exercise 2 may be considered) that needs to be moved from the first PI ACE scheduler machine to the second one. Also identify the PI Data Archive against which the ACE Configuration information will be stored from both the PI ACE Scheduler Nodes.
- From the second PI ACE Scheduler Machine, ensure that it is connected to the PI Data Archive Server with the correct credentials. This may require you to set up trusts for the PI ACE Components in the PI Data Archive Server.
- From the first PI ACE Scheduler Machine, Using PI ACE Manager, add a new scheduler instance and input in the name of the second PI ACE Scheduler Name.
- From the second PI ACE Scheduler Machine, Edit %pihome%\ACE\Scheduler\PIACENETScheduler.exe.config using the Notepad.exe program and configure the TargetScheduler key to be the scheduler instance name that was specified from the PI ACE Manager in Step 3.
- Move the identified ACE Class library dll from the first PI ACE Scheduler machine to the second. Attempt to maintain the same directory structure. Using PI ACE Manager, take the current calculation (pointed to default scheduler instance) out of service and drag this onto the new scheduler instance (that was defined in step 3)
- Restart the PI ACE Scheduler service on second PI ACE Scheduler node (to pick up the change in the PIACENETScheduler.exe.config file) and verify whether the calculation is working as expected by building a trend to display to the input and output tags using PI Processbook.
- Validate the load balancing by these 2 steps:
- Stop the first PI ACE Scheduler and verify that the moved calculation is still running
- Start the first PI ACE Scheduler and then stop the second PI ACE Scheduler. Verify that the Moved calculation has stopped running now.
First PI ACE Scheduler Machine - Computer with Visual Studio 2010/Visual Studio 2012, PI ACE Scheduler service, PI ACE Manager
Second PI ACE Scheduler Machine - Computer with PI ACE Scheduler service, PI ACE Manager
* Please not that if your enterprise doesn't have the second PI ACE Scheduler machine, you would not be able to do exercise 4.