Exercise 5 - Once you have viewed the videos on PI ACE High Availability, please do the following:
- Identify a standby (failover) PI ACE Scheduler machine that will provide failover support to the ACE calculations running on the master PI ACE Scheduler machine. The objective of the move is to establish failover of the ACE Calculations between the master and standby ACE Scheduler nodes. Identify the ACE calculation that needs to be made highly available. Also identify the PI Data Archive against which the ACE Configuration information will be stored from both the PI ACE Scheduler Nodes.
- From the standby PI ACE Scheduler Machine, ensure that it is connected to the PI Data Archive Server with the correct credentials. This may require you to set up trusts for the PI ACE Components in the PI Data Archive Server.
- From the standby PI ACE Scheduler Machine, ensure that TargetScheduler key in the PIACENETScheduler.exe.config is left to blank, since this will make the default instance to be chosen, hence all calculations which are part of default scheduler instances on multiple schedulers will become failover calculations.
- Copy the identified ACE Class library dll from the master PI ACE Scheduler machine to the standby PI ACE Scheduler machine. Attempt to maintain the same directory structure.
- Start the standby ACE Scheduler and observe from the Message logs that the failover scheduler is registered in standby mode. Verify whether the calculation is working as expected by building a trend to display to the input and output tags using PI ProcessBook.
- Validate the high availability by these 2 steps:
- Stop the primary PI ACE Scheduler and verify whether the calculation is updating via the standby scheduler node. The standby takes the role of the master now.
- Test the other way of the failover and verify whether the calculation continues to update as the 2 ACE scheduler nodes switch between master and standby roles.
Master PI ACE Scheduler Machine - Computer with Visual Studio 2010/Visual Studio 2012, PI ACE Scheduler service, PI ACE Manager
Standby PI ACE Scheduler Machine - Computer with PI ACE Scheduler service, PI ACE Manager
* Please not that if your enterprise doesn’t have the secondary PI ACE Scheduler machine, you would not be able to do exercise 5.