Table of Contents:
To access your own set of virtual machines for this online course, register for the “VLE Access – Implementing PI System High Availability Online Course” item.
Please note that this is a different registration item than that of the “Implementing PI System High Availability Online Course” facilitated session.
How to register for online course VLE access
- Go directly to this registration item: https://learning.osisoft.com/Course/Details?id=11348
- Make sure that you are logged into your SSO account (top right of page).
- If you do not have an SSO account, you can create one here.
- Select the green plus sign to add the registration to your cart.
- Click on the cart icon to proceed to checkout.
- Hit the proceed to checkout button.
- If you are enrolled in a facilitated session, apply the promotion code that was included in the e-mail from your course facilitator at the start of the course.
- You should receive a message that the code was successfully applied after you hit the apply promotion code button.
- This will discount your VLE registration to $0 if successful.
- Complete the remaining steps in the checkout process. You should see both a confirmation page and receive a confirmation e-mail for a successful registration.
- Once registered, you will have 21 days of access to the VLE for this online course.
How to access the VLE after registering
- Go to https://learning.osisoft.com/Labs/Subscriptions
- Find the “VLE Access - Implementing PI System High Availability Online Course” subscription.
- Click “Launch”. This will bring you to the https://learning.osisoft.com/Labs/MySessions page and start the process of creating your virtual machines.
- You may need to click the arrow button next to the subscription name to see “Launch”.
- It will take approximately 10 minutes to create your session, and then a few minutes for the VMs to start up. Please be patient before trying to connect.
- Find the machine you’d like to log on to and hit the connect button. This will download the machine’s connection information in a .rdp file that you will use to remote into the machine.
- Connect with user pischool\student01 whose password is student.
How to return to the info about your existing VLE session
- Return to https://learning.osisoft.com/Labs/MySessions.
- Your VMs may automatically shut down if not used for an extended period of time. If this happens, click the start all button to turn on your machines.
The machines in this Virtual Learning Environment are all members of the pischool.osisoft.com domain. The user account that you can use to access these machines is 'pischool\student01', whose password is 'student'.
- After choosing to Launch Lab, please ensure that you have waiting 15+ minutes before trying to connect to the machines. This is to ensure they have adequate time to be generated and start up. You should see a spinning progress wheel and the message "Working on your request" during the initial stage of this process. Even once the message has disappeared, please continue to give the environment a few more minutes before attempting to connect.
- The Virtual Learning Environment is composed of virtual machines hosted on Microsoft Azure that you can access remotely. In order to access these virtual machines you need a Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) Client and you will also need to be able to access the domain cloudapp.net where the machines are hosted. A typical connection string has the form cloudservicename.cloudapp.net:xxxxx, where the cloud service name is specific to a group of virtual machines and xxxxx is a port in the range 41952-65535. Therefore users connecting to Azure virtual machines must be allowed to connect to the domain *.cloudapp.net throughout the port range 41952-65535. If you cannot connect, check your company firewall policies and ensure that you can connect to this domain on the required ports.
- If you are still unable to connect, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your course facilitator.