This course does not teach programming, but rather how to use the PI Web API within your business. Developers should have basic knowledge of HTTP requests and JSON syntax, though we will cover some of these concepts as well.
Basic knowledge of the PI System generally is required for this course. Concepts such as PI Asset Framework and the relationship of attributes and elements to PI Points/Tag on the Data Archive should be familiar and comfortable before beginning this course.
Knowledge and use of developer tools in modern browsers as well as either Postman of Fiddler is beneficial, but not required. Knowledge of RESTful Web Services and Web API’s is valuable, but also not required.
If you don’t feel comfortable with above the following links provide some introductory information on the necessary background in order to take this course:
In order to follow along with the videos and complete the exercises, learners will need:
- A PI System
- PI Data Archive that is running and collecting data.
- PI Asset Framework with write access to an AF Database
- PI Web API v2018 or newer
- Membership to the PI Web API Administrators local Windows Group on the machine where the PI Web API service is installed
- Google Chrome (v. 70.0.3538 or newer), Firefox (v. 60.0 or newer), or Microsoft Edge (v. 42.17134 or newer)
- This course is taught utilizing Google Chrome for Developer tools and is the preferred browser for the course, though not required
- Fiddler (v. 2.x)
Don't have access to your own PI System?
- If you don't have access to the software listed above, you can purchase the PI System Clients - Cloud Environment. This an isolated virtual environment, designed to enhance your learning experience with this course. You will receive access for 21 days since the first launch.