I have a few questions for you:
- What do you mean by "bypass PI tags"?
- Do you want to keep using MS Excel? As you don't want to develop an application, which options are acceptable to you?
- Which technologies are you currently using on your spreadsheet?
1 - Bypass tags are digital tags configured on PI as "ON" or "OFF".
2 - We have up to 3K bypass tags for each process plant. MS Excel is the best way to do this? I think to use AF but now I don't know how to do.
3 - I built it using PI DataLink functions.
Here are some suggestion for you in order to improve performance:
- Upgrade to PI DataLink 2015. If you have an old version of the product which uses PI SDK instead of PI AF SDK, you shall get better performance will the most recent versions of PI DataLink.
- It is better to use bulks calls if possible against the PI System. I would check if it is possible to use this functionality on your spreadsheet. This thread provide useful information about Datalink 2015 - Bulk Calls.I guess TechSupport can help you analyze your spreadsheet and maybe provide a better alternative for you.
- If this is taking a lot of time because many calculations are done on the client-side, I would use PI Asset Based Analytics in order to move those calculations to the server-side, saving the results back on PI Points. Then, only the final calculation results will be transferred to the client and not all the time series values from the selected time period which will be faster.
- Finally, you might achieve better performance by writing custom code with PI AF SDK, showing the results on a web server for instance. But I understand that you want to avoid this path.
Hope it helps!
RtReports could be a solution?