The following resources are helpful in evaluating what resources to use when putting your PI Data Archive on a virtual machine. This is not a complete list. If you find something missing feel free to add it in the comments section.
- KB00717 - How to evaluate disk throughput for the PI Server
- Newsletter | December 2010: Virtualizing your PI System
- Whitepaper: Virtualization and the PI System
More specific resources about specific issues:
- KB00343 - Some PI Server workloads may perform poorly in a VMware ESX virtual machine
- This thread discusses problems with a I/O controller driver in a VMware environment: Solved: mysteries data leak in a virtual Environment