6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 10:05 AM by ionutmusat

Custom Bar

ErnyC

Hello everyone

Is there a way to draw a custom bar in Process Book  that looks like figure attached? (see attachment)

Of course Min Max and boundaries red/yellow/green must be configurable.

TIA

Erny

• Re: Custom Bar
          Rhys Kirk

Interesting...about 3 years ago I built something in ProcessBook that did that, but it was VBA intensive. The post (from the vCampus days) is here:

Re: The High Performance HMI Handbook

startrekbarchart.bmp-480x320.jpg

It would probably be difficult to build something like that and use it throughout your displays, especially if your next question is how to have that hosted in PI Coresight too.

André Åsheim

Advanced version = VBA coding (see Rhys Kirk example above)

Simple version = Multi state

The multi state approach doesn't allow you to see where the limits are but you can configure the bar to change colors based on its values. I've done this in my displays when I wanted to highlight the status.
            Warning state:

Ok state:

ErnyC

Rhys thanks for your answer. I'm expert enough in VBA to undestand complex code, and YES, a couple of days ago, I read some

about High performance HMI book, and my first thought was how to apply book's concepts to a Process Book display.

@Andre thanks for you suggestion, I know how to use multistate, but having a dedicate bar control would be best solution.

Erny

knightk

I have toyed about with some ideas on this, I like to try and avoid VBA as much as possible as it means displays can be reused in PI Web Parts or PI Coresight without any modifications required.

Here is a little idea I had on this. Use AF to define each tag you wish to represent as a custom bar display. There are attributes for Max/Zero/HI/HIHI/LO/LOLO. Each of these has a child attribute called % which uses the value and span (Max-Zero) to determine it's percentage (0-100). The reason for this is that we (unfortunately) can't have dynamic values for the span of the bar graphs, so they all need converted to a 0-100 scale in order to work with a template.

6.png

Using these attributes, add bar graphs for each of the limits and colour as appropriate , Max is always 100 (1) colour this as your HIHI.  (2) is HIHI, colour it as your HI. (3) is HI, colour it as your operating limit.etc. etc. For the value, I range this -5 to 100, starting at -5 (experiment with values depending on size of your bar graphs) and make them slightly larger than the limit bar graphs. This is because 0 is not displayed on a bar graph. I have two bar graphs with the actual value, one as my background colour which is positioned slightly lower. Now center align the limit graphs, center align the value graphs, and move them next to the limits.

1.png

It may not be quite as refined as an arrow pointing at the bar, but it's a solution which will work in web parts/coresight! Now group all objects into a composite, right click and select assign to template. Now you can drag and drop all the value you built from template into processbook and get your dynamic scales.

2.png 3.png

You can add Booleans to the alarms so when they are exceeded they can display a yellow warning triangle, red square etc.

Another type of bar recommended in the High Performance HMI is like below (useful for speed, or valve positions where alarms are not required). Draw a rectangle and repeat it 3 times, then add the value as two bar graphs, again -5 to 100, and overlay as before, then bring the rectangles to the top and middle align them with the bar graphs.

4.png

Assign to template and then drag drop your speed bars onto Processbook display. These are a lot easier to read.

5.png

I hope OSI could add the following to Processbook. Allow the bar graph limits to be set to AF attributes, and make bar graphs from any symbol.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                  ionutmusat

Dear all,

Also me i want to make an custom bar for my displays. For this reason i use rectangle object.

Please see the attached display to understand my approach( also are some comments in VB).

I hope that my example can be useful for other users.

Best regards,

Ionut