6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2015 9:10 AM by Rhys Kirk

Abacus Function Templates

AlistairFrith

Are there any plans for Abacus to support templating of individual steps of an equation, analogous to writing your own function and calling it from multiple places?

As an example, I am working on an application where gas flow rate needs to be converted between mass and volume in various different places within analyses, and I am having to copy and paste the same equations. If it turns out that I have the formula wrong, I am going to have to go back and change it in multiple locations which is obviously not an ideal situation.

• Re: Abacus Function Templates
          dng

Hi Alistair,

We do have discussions about having user-defined functions that are a collection of existing functions. This is to avoid having to type in the same functions over and over again, as you have mentioned. I do see a work item for this; perhaps Stephen Kwan can comment more on the timeline and priority for this enhancement.

skwan

Hi Alistair,

As Daphne indicated, we do have a backlog item for this, but based on what we have planned so far, it won't be in the next two releases.  Unfortunately I can't give you a more exact estimate than that at the moment because of the dynamic nature of product development and planning.

--

Steve Kwan

AlistairFrith

Thanks for the info. I won't hold my breath but I will look forward to it eagerly.

knightk

It might be a bit botchy but you could create a sub element just for each conversion which pulls the source values from the parent, and also have an attribute in the parent reading the value from the sub element (for the analysis). Then you just have the one template for each conversion and paste that child element everywhere you need it used, it's still copy pasting but you only need to edit the formula logic in one place?

botch.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    AlistairFrith

I thought that something along those lines might be possible but hadn't actually figured out how everything would plug together and whether it would actually work. The general architecture was already in place and largely implemented before this annoyance became apparent. There is the possibility of some re-design and re-implementation later on, incorporating lessons learned so your suggestion will certainly be useful at that stage.

Rhys Kirk

You don't need to use a Formula DR, you can use the same AF Path syntax in the Analyses and use the Convert() function if needed.