7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2015 7:32 AM by Nishanth

Excel Issue

Nishanth

Hello team,

I am updrading PI ACE Server to updated windows 2012 Server.

Here i had configured some btach jobs which calls the excel sheet next it will generate the excel sheet to the end users.

In this process when i am trying to call the excel sheet i was getting the below error

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.4756.1000, time stamp: 0x4b9c08e8
      Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532943a3

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000e756

Faulting process id: 0x1124

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0b4bb19562fea

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 5dbc32e7-20ae-11e5-80dd-005056b20ed0

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Can anyone please help me how to resolve this issue.

Here i would like which version of MS Office will support windows 2012 server here i had installed PI Datalink 2010 version to pull the current values n to the excel sheet and their were some macros also created in the excel sheets.

I had un installed the MS office 2010 version and installed 2000 version now i didnt get the above error message.

• Re: Excel Issue
          dng

Hi Nishanth,

From the PI DataLink point of view, Excel 2010 (32-bit) is compatible with PI DataLink 2010 (you can find this information in the release notes for PI DataLink).

From the operating system point of view, Excel 2010 is compatible with Windows Server 2012 (see Microsoft documentation at System requirements for Office 2010).

Is your issue reproducible? If not, the information provided is not enough to tell us why Excel has crashed, or if PI DataLink or PI ACE is responsible for the crash. If the issue is reproducible, please let us know under what operations/circumstances do the crash occur. Any additional information will be helpful in troubleshooting the issue.

Nishanth

Hello Ng,

yes the isuue is reproducible.

I was working on Upgrading the PI ACE Server from older version the new Version Windows 2012. I need to make the new server just as a replica to the Old PI ACE Server as part of this we are having some excel sheets (Static Reports) which will be running using a batch job and sending those batch jobs to the end users via email.

When we run the batch job below is the batch job command

@echo off

Set Excel_exe="E:\APPS\Microsoft Office\Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE"
            Set Excel_xls=E:\DATA\ACEData\StaticReports\WACO\WACO0500.XLS

%Excel_exe% %excel_xls%  -run

it will 1st call the excel sheet then it will call the static reports, when the static reports is opened it is failing to open the excel sheet and i can see the below message in the eventvwr .

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.4756.1000, time stamp: 0x4b9c08e8

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17055, time stamp: 0x532943a3

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000e756

Faulting process id: 0x288

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0b86bde16539b

Faulting application path: E:\APPS\Microsoft Office\Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 22567d0b-245f-11e5-80e0-005056b20ed0

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I hope this explanation will be clear to you for understanding on the issue.

Note : their were macros in the excel sheet too.

Nishanth

As an add on i had opened a case with tech support on this too,

please find the case number : 640571

dng

Hi Nishanth,

Thank you for the additional information. It looks like you were able to open the Excel application, but failed to open the associated spreadsheet. Without using the batch script, can you open that spreadsheet manually? If you could not, I would recommend looking into the spreadsheet to see what could have caused the crash.

I failed to see how the issue could be related to PI ACE (correct me if I'm wrong). If you suspect the issue could be related to PI DataLink, try disabling it to see if Excel still crashes. If the behavior is the same, this is likely an issue with Excel instead of any PI components. If disabling PI DataLink prevented Excel from crashing, let us know. I would also encourage you to upgrade to the latest PI DataLink version (or at least to the 2010 SP1 version).

proberts

I'm inclined to agree with Daphne's analysis, but I notice that you're using drive E: in your application.  Is this a network drive mapping?  Does excel allow you to run applications off a network drive?  Try running excel and loading the spreadsheet manually to see if you're getting security issues relating to a network.

Nishanth

Hello Every One,

I had resolved the issue.

The issue is not related to PI ACE Server, in PI ACE Server i had hosted this spread sheets.

Its not related to PI Data Link version too, i can open empty excel sheet and i can pull the data using pi Data Link from the respective servers.

Yes, I am using E: Drive because as per our standards we need to host all the Applications other than C: Drive. In C:Drive we need to have only OS related.

Finally, the issue is related to the Macros and VB Scripting which had written in the spread sheets. The Kernel32 is declared as String Variable previously when this code had written years back, but when i am trying to use the same code in Windows 2012 servers the KERNEL32 was not accepting String as a variable , so i had changed the String Variable declaration  to Long then the KERNEL32 is ablet to call the Modules what it has been delcared in that Function.

Nishanth

Thanks to all for helping me to resolve the issue.