4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2015 2:41 PM by gheorghe.vatui

Powershell tools 1.1.0.0 cannot get back a new AF Element it just created

gheorghe.vatui

I was investigating the creation of PI AF Elements using Powershell.

For example, I am creating an new Element "PI-Buffer Server" under the parent Element "Interfaces" .

The new Element is based on an Element Template.

Function Create AFElement below is creating the new element:

function createAFElement ($name, $template, $referenceType, $parentElement){

# create Af Element under the root node

Add-AFElement -Name $name -ElementTemplate $template -ReferenceType $referenceType -AFElement $parentElement -ErrorAction Stop

# No need to add the Attributes since using the Element template which should have all needed attribute templates

# need to update Attributes only

$getAFServer = Get-AFServer -Name $PIAFServerName -ErrorAction Continue

$getAFDatabase = Get-AFDatabase -Name $PIAFDatabaseName -AFServer $getAFServer

$newElement = Get-AFElement -Name $name -AFDatabase $getAFDatabase -ErrorAction Stop  #FAILS !!!!!

updateAFElement $newElement

}

Now when I get to the line :

$newElement = Get-AFElement -Name $name -AFDatabase $getAFDatabase -ErrorAction Stop  #FAILS !!!!!

Powershell cannot find the Element it just created  - error:

Get-AFElement : AF Element PI-Buffer Server not found in database <myDB>.

+         $newElement = Get-AFElement -Name $name -AFDatabase $getAFDatabase -Erro ...

+                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Elements:AFElements) [Get-AFElement], GetPIElementException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NameNotFound,OSIsoft.PowerShell.GetAFElement

I also tried to disconnect and reconnect from the AF server hoping this would force Powershell to reload its cache.

Unfortunately it did not help... Note that if I refresh a previously open PI System Explorer, PSE does show me the new Element.

function createAFElement ($name, $template, $referenceType, $parentElement){

# create Af Element under the root node
          Add-AFElement -Name $name -ElementTemplate $template -ReferenceType $referenceType -AFElement $parentElement -ErrorAction Stop

# No need to add the Attributes since using the Element template which should have all needed attribute templates
          # need to update Attributes only

# disconnect from AF Server to force cache update
          $foundPIAFSrv = Get-AFServer -Name $PIAFSrv
          Disconnect-AFServer -AFServer $foundPIAFSrv -ErrorAction Continue

# reconnect
          try{

# connect to AF if not already connected
              $foundPIAFSrv = Get-AFServer -Name $PIAFSrv
              $errVar = @()

Connect-AFServer -AFServer $foundPIAFSrv -ErrorVariable errVar -ErrorAction Continue

}
          catch{

Echo "Error: Failed to connect to AF Server. Aborting ... Error details:`r`n$errVar[0]" >> $logFile
              Exit
          }

updateAFElement $newElement

}

How can I force Powershell to refresh the AF database and get the new Element ?

I need to pass the new Element to  another function which updates its Attributes.

• Re: Powershell tools 1.1.0.0 cannot get back a new AF Element it just created
          dng

Hi Gheorghe,

The cmdlet

$newElement = Get-AFElement -Name $name -AFDatabase $getAFDatabase

returns only the root element under your AF Database.

After you created a child element using

Add-AFElement -Name $name -ElementTemplate $template -ReferenceType $referenceType -AFElement $parentElement

You can get the same child element by specifying the parent element instead of the AF database

$newElement = Get-AFElement -AFElement $parentElement -Name $name

Alternatively, you can store the AFElement when you create it:

$newElement = Add-AFElement -Name $name -ElementTemplate $template -ReferenceType $referenceType -AFElement $parentElement

and use it in subsequent operations.

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              gheorghe.vatui

Hi Daphne,

I changed my code to use instead of these tree lines:

these new ones:

$reloadedAFServer = Get-AFServer -Name $PIAFServerName -ErrorAction Continue
                  $reloadedAFDatabase = Get-AFDatabase -Name $PIAFDatabaseName -AFServer $reloadedAFServer
                  $reloadedParentElement = Get-AFElement -Name $rootElementName -AFDatabase $reloadedAFDatabase

$newElement = Get-AFElement -AFElement $reloadedParentElement -Name $name -AFDatabase $reloadedAFDatabase -ErrorAction Stop  #FAILS !!!!!

Essentially I am reloading the server, database and parent element (all these are found). Then I am trying to reload the newly created Element - this still fails:

Get-AFElement : Parameter set cannot be resolved using the specified named parameters.

+         $newElement = Get-AFElement -AFElement $reloadedParentElement -Name $nam ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-AFElement], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : AmbiguousParameterSet,OSIsoft.PowerShell.GetAFElement

Trying the second suggestion worked - i.e. storing the newly created element in a variable (and later on passing it around to other functions):

$newElement = Add-AFElement -Name $name -ElementTemplate $template -ReferenceType $referenceType -AFElement $parentElement -ErrorAction Stop

dng

Hi Gheorghe,

The reason you were getting the ParameterBindingException is because you are specifying both -AFDatabase and -AFElement.

As I mentioned, Get-AFElement will return the root element under your AFDatabase if you specify -AFDatabase, and will return the root element under the specified parent element if you specify -AFElement. With the following code:

$newElement = Get-AFElement -AFElement $reloadedParentElement -Name $name -AFDatabase $reloadedAFDatabase -ErrorAction Stop

The statement is specifying two "parent" elements for Get-AFElement to look at, which is ambiguous. (You can think of the parameter -AFElement and -AFDatabase as mutually exclusive.)

Please use the following statement to get the $newElement:

$newElement = Get-AFElement -AFElement $reloadedParentElement -Name $name -ErrorAction Stop

One addition note is that there is no need to reload the AF server before attempting to get the new element after creation in the PowerShell script.