I have a development team about to start a major integration effort against OSI PI, primarily to the EF framework, as one of our module focuses pretty heavily on batch analytics, but will also need to access the traditional PI time series data. Our development team is a .NET based team, with extensive knowledge of .NET SQL Data Services / Entity Framework. We are trying to select the correct technology on which to build our enterprise application.
Some of the design criteria are:
1) PI systems at both geographically remote locations, as well as global or regional data centers on premises.
2) Eventually we envision OSI Soft products deployed in the cloud on something like Amazon Cloud, etc.
It seems that there are many choices here.
1) PI AFSdk - Probably the fastest mechanism, but need to write a lot of bare metal code to get it working, and probably not protected against design criteria 2.
2) PI Web API - Seems to be pretty complete, seems to be message based.
4) Entity Framework on top of PIOLDEB adapter or similar.
What are the pros and cons of each approach?