3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 3:25 PM by Roger Palmen

PI Coresight 2015 - Poor Performance

mlemus

We have about 1700 like assets (Template: Well), with about 80 attributes with PI Point references, and about 40 with Table Lookup references. We really like the Coresight "swap" asset feature but that function takes about 60 seconds to swap to the other asset/element.  We see the same performance issue even when we use the URL parameter and pass in another element path.  Also, the Coresight Asset Tree is slow to render and doesn't handle a lot of the same assets very good (no next/previous page on the tree).  Coresight is on a VM (VMWare), with a bunch of other guests all competing for resources.  We will eventually have 10k of those same assets (Wells).  How can I find out where the constraint is?  We suspect the VM floating cores.  Would having Coresignt on a physical server be the overall best architecture?

• Re: PI Coresight 2015 - Poor Performance
          bshang

One way to get more insight into the bottleneck is F12 Developer Tools on the browser and check the timings in the Network tab. You'll probably need to send this to TechSupport if there are any obvious indications from these logs.

The 40 Table Lookup DR's can be troubling, as it can take longer to retrieve data from SQL than PI. I also don't believe Table Lookup DR's are optimized for any kind of "bulk" call to SQL. I would check how long it takes to view the attribute data from PI System Explorer on the Coresight machine. That's probably a lower-bound for what can be expected in terms of timing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: PI Coresight 2015 - Poor Performance
            Roger Palmen

Good luck! Performance issues are time-consuming.

Virtual servers should not make a significant difference over a physical box! Can't remember the last time i've seen any physical box.

Table lookups are suspicious, but as the Asset Tree is slow too this is less likely to be the only cause. That one is easy to check by using PSE on the CoreSight server. No guarantees, but gives you some clue if it's only CoreSight or deeper.