9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 10:27 AM by pthivierge

PI to Relational Database sizing

Elisha

Can anyone point me to information regarding the sizing requirements for an Oracle DB in order for PI to Interface with? This is only a test enviroment, and currently we are just brining up our PI core and we will not be interfacing with any data sources. All testing at this time will be manually loaded. I do not want to over size or under size..

• Re: PI to Relational Database sizing
          Dan Fishman

Can you provide some more details please.  The PI Data Historian does not require an Oracle DB so the two system should be independent.  Are you taking PI Data and storing moving value to Oracle or putting Oracle data into PI?  How many data streams to you have?  We need more details to provide recommendations.  Take a look at our hardware sizing sheet here:  "Hardware and PI System Sizing Recommendations Spreadsheet"

Elisha

Right now we will have one data stream to an Oracle DB, completely separate as you stated above. This is will be our data warehouse, once we move into production this will need to be sized to hold approximately 40 years of data. For today, we are only using this Oracle relational database in a test environment.

Our current test environment specs:

PI AF runs onWindows Server
                2012 R2
              - 2.2 GHz or
                Higher , Single CPU with 4 cores
              384 MB / 1GB640 MB
              PI
                Data Archive runs on
              Windows Server 2012
                R2
                Cores
              1 GB165 MB
              Oracle
              Microsoft IIS Server (PI Coresight
                Application)
              Windows Server 2012
                R2
              Microsoft IIS 7.5 or
                later
              2 GHz, 4 CPU
                (Supports 1 - 50 Users)
              6 GB275 MB
                  Roger Palmen

40 years * how many values per year * how many value streams/tags * what type of value * table design & index overhead factor? Many questions to ask to find the approximate volume in Mega/Giga/Tera Bytes

I'd suggest to get an Oracle DBA to assist you with the design sketch and related sizing calculations as for large volumes of data, the technical side of things becomes more complex quickly.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Elisha,

IMHO, the size of the Oracle database is as important as the amount/volume of data that needs to be retrieved. Nevertheless, you need also to consider the amount of time that this retrieval needs to be done.

According to your use case, this operation can be slowed or faster. Are you developing a web application that shows live data? Or are you developing a long running service that keeps using historical data for making advanced calculation? Or you just want to send data from the Oracle database to the PI System? Factors like this are important to consider as well. The way you write your query also influences on the size of the Oracle DB. If your query is not optimized, you might think that you need a server with more memory and CPU than you actually need (if your query were optimized).

If you provide more details, we will be able to help you better!

pthivierge

Hello Elisha,

Welcome to PI Square! We are always happy to see new users here

--

I am not sure that I understand your request,  Are you talking about using the PI Integrator for Business Analytics to feed an Oracle Database?

If not, can you elaborate a little on the big picture / goals of this installation?

thanks in advance!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    pthivierge

Hello Elisha,

I am not certain at this point if you have found an answer to your question.

I could see however that you have marked this answer as final, thus I assume you may be done with this question here.

I would like to suggest that you contact OSIsoft technical support to discuss about what you want to achieve.  I am certain that having a conversation with a technical support engineer may give you a lot of answers.

Sometimes we don't have enough information on forums to understand fully what one want to achieve, so I am sorry that we could not find an answer for your specific question.

I hope that this helps you for your project,

Have a nice week!