6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 10:14 AM by Hemant_Panchal

Tag is changed when i open graphics in other pi server

Hemant_Panchal

I have already one pi server with existing database and is working fine, But i need to make some new modification in graphics and also some new addition of tags, i copied whole existing database in another pi server, and then when i open graphics referencing to the new pi server many of the tags binded changes automatically.

For eg, if i have binded  93LI5102A.PV in one of the value in one of the graphic in old pi server,

than whille opening the same graphic by referencing it to new pi server, the binded value changes to 93VI5552H,PV (any random value).

i am not getting what exactly the problem is.

kindly help.

• Re: Tag is changed when i open graphics in other pi server
          gregor

Hello Hemant,

Is this a ProcessBook display?

How did you copy the database from one PI Server to the other and why can't you change your display while being connected against the initial PI Server?

What's the overall plan? Will you use the changed displays with the original PI Server or with the copy?

With ProcessBook version 3 and above, the default behavior is to resolve PI Points by ID and not by name. I assume you've exported the Point configuration from the source and created new PI Points using the export. Even the export may have contained the Point ID's the PI Data Archive creates the point ID at point creation. As a result, the points on the copy of your PI Server will likely have different Point ID's. When opening your existing displays against the PI Server copy, the ID's resolve other PI Points.

You can change ProcessBook behavior by setting PB2TagResolution = 1 in procbook.ini file but I would suggest using PB Support Tool instead. Please refer to this other related question.

As an additional hint, a forum search for PB2TagResolution returns additional discussions.

Hemant_Panchal

Hello Gregor,

Thanks for reply.

Actually there are many modification and addition of tags in existing pi system which is already in use for monitoring purpose by management and is very less availabe, so what i am trying to do is to copy that database into my PC pi server and do whatever modification and addition i am suppose to do.

After exporting whole database and copying all graphics in my PC  pi server, than when i open any graphic many of the tag mapping get changed.

i exported the whole database with pi smt in excel

gregor

Hello Hemant,

To ensure the Point ID's persist, you need to follow the Move PI Data Archive procedure described e.g. in PI Data Archive 2015 Installation and Upgrade Guide. Please make sure to use the manual version that belongs to your PI Data Archive version.

For your specific use case, using the PB Support Tool to convert your displays should be sufficient.

Hemant_Panchal

Dear Gregor,

I tried out by changing PbTagresolution=1, now when i open graphic mappings are remaining intact.

but i am little bit doubted that after doing all modification and addition while again moving it to original PI server, will it remain intact or not?

And How to use PB Support Tool to convert displays, isn't it just for tag replacement and tag return function.

gregor

Hello Hemant,

Setting PB2TagResolution = 1 will cause ProcessBook to resolve PI Point by names. When you modify the display and especially when you add or change PI Point references, those changes I expect the changes will likely be stored with the Point ID references matching your PI Data Archive copy. When opening the displays against the original PI Data Archive node, you will likely run into the same issue of Point references being mixed up. With this again, setting PB2TagResolution = 1 you may be able to fix references by just saving the display but this is something I recommend to try as well as using PB Support Tool.

To my understanding, you could use the "Tag Search and Replace" functionality of the PB Support Tool now to change Point references and later when moving the displays back. The question is if you have to go point by point which likely could be quite some effort. I however suggest you give it a try to get an idea about how useful it can be for you.

You could as well try to create your own display conversion tool that uses a list (Excel sheet) containing a conversion table with point names, the original Point ID and the one the Point has on your copied PI Server. Please see this discussion for reference.

You see there are a few options but all of them include some effort. The approach with the least effort still appears to be to modify the displays while still connecting against the original PI Server, not the copy. In case displays are made available on a network resource, you could work with a local copy. Because you are just dealing with visualization of data, I wouldn't know any reason why not connecting against a production PI Server, if this is what motivated you to create your PI Server copy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful