3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 10:25 AM by gregor

π i PI PE

GjermundOmholt

Hi,

Is there any way to use the constant π i PI PE?

• Re: π i PI PE
          gregor

Hello Gjermund,

What I recall out of my head is 3.1415926 but yes, you can calculate π.

Trigonometry PE functions are based on RAD. Therefore the following equation returns π: Asin(1)*2

GjermundOmholt

I know the value of π, thank you

But I have a lot of PE calculations and I just would like to use a constant instead of 3.1415926.

In Excel I can use the function PI(). Is there something similar in PI PE?

A colleague of mine actually made a time series in the PI database named PI with the value 3.1415926. But that is a workaround.

gregor

Hello Gjermund,

PI Performance Equation Reference manual (%PIHOME%\Help\PEReference.chm) should be installed with every PINS. I wasn't able to find a function or constant to return π directly. For that reason, I suggested you to calculate it. The equation (Asin(1)*2) is pretty short and hence could easily fit into your Equations even I must admit that this approach isn't the best from the readability perspective.

Have you considered to venture a step into today by using Asset Based Analytics?

If you are not using PI Asset Framework now, it's time to consider looking into it and to take advantage of all the benefits it introduces including a function Pi() in Asset Based Analytics.