5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2016 12:23 PM by Rhys Kirk

Migration PHD Excel to DataLink Sheets

tboers

Dear PI geeks,

Does anyone have experience with automated migration of Excelsheets based on PHD to DataLink based sheets?

With kind regards,

Tjidde

• Re: Migration PHD Excel to DataLink Sheets
          gregor

Hello Tjidde,

I could imagine there are a lot of dependencies starting with the tag naming and would start looking at what's different and what both have in common. On the other hand I believe you are looking for an experienced community member raising her / his voice.

As a result of a brief research I found this other discussion indicating you might be having a colleague with experience in this field.

tboers

Thanks Gregor for your response.

The discussion you refer to discusses the migration of the PHD server to PI. We have already experience
              with this process, you can see Johan Dijkhuizen has posted some valuable comments.

My question is when the PHD server is migrated to PI. When this migration is completed there a users with Excel sheets based on the then old PHD server. We guess we can automatically migrate approximately 60% of the old PHD Excel sheet to DataLink based sheet. I’m wondering if fellow PIsquare members or OSIsoft staff also have experience automatically migrating PHD Excel sheets to Datalink. Anybody?

Nocodes79

From the little I have seen, many of the PHD formulas in Excel have an exact equivalent in DataLink.

On the other hand the person who did the change, translated them manually as there wasn't that many reports to convert.

A VBA macro could do the trick replacing the formulas (supposing the tag names are the same as in our case), but the automatic parsing and translation could be a really long task. If it is worth, it depends really on how many and how complex the reports to convert are.

gregor

Hello Tjidde,

I checked our databases again and also talked to some local colleagues from Field Service. There are no traces such migration tool has ever been created or used by OSIsoft staff.

Rhys Kirk

Hey Tjidde. No automatic tool, just some grunt work I'm afraid. Even then you'll probably want to improve upon the Excel sheets and move them towards AF.

Can't the users do them themselves after some training? Potentially there could be a minefield of Spreadsheets buried on users machines.