AnsweredAssumed Answered

Performing Calculations on a Dataset

Question asked by FaisalAbdulla on Mar 26, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 by FaisalAbdulla

Hello

I am currently working with VBA in PI Processbook and got stuck on a problem. I have a sheet with a large number of PI tags, each having a button of their own. When that button is clicked, that tag is plotted as a trace on a trend. In addition to this, it also updates a pre-defined calculated dataset (please correct my terminology if I am wrong) based on some other tags in relation with this one. This dataset is also on the trend.

I would now like to perform calculations on this dataset. Particularly, I would like to calculate the Min, Max, St.Dev, and Mean of this dataset. However, the catch is, I would like to calculate these statistics for only the time range of the trend. This time range is dynamic and can be set by the user.

How do I go about doing this? So far, the code I have is as follows:

Private Sub recalculate()
    Dim ptPoint As PISDK.PIPoint
    Dim ds As Datasets
    Dim calc As PIExpressionDataset

Set ptPoint = PISDK.Servers("ServerNameHere").PIPoints("PreTagHere" & Text1.Contents)
    Set ds = ThisDisplay.Datasets
    Set calc = ds.GetDataset("Spec_Calc")

With calc
        .Expression = "'PreTagHere" & Text1.Contents & "Suffix1' - 'PreTagHere" & Text1.Contents & "Suffix2'"
        .Interval = "1m"
        .ColumnName = "Value"
        .RefreshInterval = 60
        .Description = "Calculated Factor"
        .Stepped = False
    End With

Call ds.SetDataset(calc)
    averagetag.Contents = ptPoint.Data.Summary(TextBox1.Text, TextBox2.Text, astAverage, cbTimeWeighted)
End Sub

As you can see in the above code, I was successfully able to calculate the average of the data in the trend easily, because it was a PI tag. However, I'm not sure how to do the same with a DataSet (in this case, "calc").

Thanks for your help

Outcomes