4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 8:51 AM by pthivierge

Run Compressed Data Codes Multiple Times VBA

Stefanie

Hi, I have a series of compressed data code. Now I need to write a VBA to run these codes with different start dates. How to do so?

Please help, Thanks!!!

• Re: Run Compressed Data Codes Multiple Times VBA
          pthivierge

Hello Stefanie,

I did not have a lot of information so I had to guess a little bit to understand what you need.  Please provide more information if the following code does not help.

In this sample, you will need to adjust the code in CollectCompressedData method to fit your need:

Option Explicit

Public mPIServer As PISDK.server

Public Function CollectCompressedData()

Dim values As PIValues
              ConnectPIDataArchive "megatron"

' here you can pass anything
              Set values = GetRecordedValues("sinusoid", "2016-03-30", "2016-03-31")

' do what you need with the data here
              Dim archiveValue As PIValue
              For Each archiveValue In values
                  Debug.Print archiveValue.value & " " & archiveValue.TimeStamp.LocalDate
              Next

End Function

Public Function ConnectPIDataArchive(Optional serverName As String) As Boolean

If serverName <> "" Then
                  Set mPIServer = PISDK.Servers.item(serverName)
              Else
                  Set mPIServer = PISDK.Servers.DefaultServer
              End If

If mPIServer Is Nothing Then ConnectPIDataArchive = False: Exit Function

If mPIServer.Connected Then mPIServer.Close

mPIServer.Open

Debug.Print "PI Server Connected"

ConnectPIDataArchive = mPIServer.Connected

End Function

'---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          ' Procedure : GetRecordedValues
          ' Purpose   : to get values that are stored in the archives
          '---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          '
          Public Function GetRecordedValues(ByVal tagName As String, startTime As String, endTime As String) As PIValues

Dim archiveValues As PIValues

Set archiveValues = mPIServer.PIPoints(tagName).data.RecordedValues(startTime, endTime, btAuto)

Set GetRecordedValues = archiveValues

' debug
          '    Dim archiveValue As PIValue
          '    For Each archiveValue In archiveValues
          '        Debug.Print archiveValue.value & " " & archiveValue.TimeStamp.LocalDate
          '    Next
          End Function

Under tools, references, you will need to add references to the PI SDK objects.

Let us know if you have questions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            pthivierge

Hello Stefanie,

Did the proposed code helped?

Stefanie

Hi Patrice. Thank you very much! I was wondering if for example I have a temperature tag, is it possible to feed in a time range and get the temperature range between those times in excel?

pthivierge

Hello Stefanie,

Yes this is possible.

You can do that out of the box with PI DataLink:

Or with VBA you can simply add a filter expression to the GetRecordedValue Method.  I am providing you the differences with the code provided in my previous post:

In the CollectcompressedData function, add another parameter to take the filter expression:

Public Function CollectCompressedData()
                        Set values = GetRecordedValues("sinusoid", "2016-03-30", "2016-03-31", "'sinusoid'>30 and 'sinusoid'<90")
                    End Function

Modify the GetRecordedValues function to take the new parameter and pass it to the recorded values call:

Public Function GetRecordedValues(ByVal tagName As String, startTime As String, endTime As String, filterExp As String) As PIValues
                        Set archiveValues = mPIServer.PIPoints(tagName).data.RecordedValues(startTime, endTime, btAuto, filterExp, fvRemoveFiltered)
                    End Function

You have some examples how to build Filter Expressions here: Expressions examples.

My recommendation

if you are not comfortable with code, I would highly recommend that you use PI Datalink instead, it integrates well with Excel and should be easier to use.

We do have an online course to learn it, and available here: Creating Basic Reports with PI DataLink

A note about AF SDK

Please not that when using the PI SDK, you cannot have access to AF Attribues neither assets, AF SDK could do that but it is compatible with .NET only and because you are using VBA, PI SDK is the easy path to make quick automation with the PI Data Archive.

We do not usually recommend PI SDK anymore and AF SDK should be used instead, except for specific situations like this one, where AF SDK cannot be used directly. ( Background: Deprecating the PI SDK ).