7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2016 6:37 AM by 00112709

How to connect to PI HDA Server from 3rd Party Client?

Hi, I'm developing client including HDA Interface

, however client cannot connect to PI HDA Server.

Somebody give me a hand...??

System architecture is following;

PC1:PI Server, PI OPC HDA Server

PC2:Client including HDA Interface

DCOM config finished on both PC.

OpcEnum was installed on PC1 while installing PI OPC HDA Server.

, however I manually copied OpcEnum on PC2 as following URL.

KB01282 - How to install the PI OPC Client Tool on a new machine with no other OPC software

Other assembly is necessary on client to connect PI HDA server??

I think there is no problem on PC1

because client can connect if any one of following is installed on PC2.

1.PI Interface for OPC HDA

2. PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 Install Kit

3. OPC HDA Sample erver, Client from Opc Foundation.

• Re: How to connect to PI HDA Server from 3rd Party Client?
          gregor

Hello Mitsutoshi,

Is there any error message returned when the connection attempt fails?

Your answers to the following questions could as well help to make a sufficient guess.

Are both machines member of the same domain or are you operating in a workgroup environment?

What user account is running the PI OPC HDA process on the PI Data Archive host (PC1)? Is it running as a service or how does the process become loaded to memory?

What user account is executing the remote OPC HDA client process (PC2)?

With your setup PI OPC HDA server should connect against PI using the Proxy_127 trust. So I don't expect any trouble from that side.

DCOM allows to do great things like launching an application from a remote node. Great power comes with great responsibility and hence Microsoft has added security to every kind of action that is allowed and it makes a difference if things are done locally or remote. This said, the sentence "DCOM has been set up on both machines" is, sorry, kind of a weak statement.

We have documentation on setting up DCOM, see e.g. DCOM Security and Configuration 2.4.4 which suggests settings for client and server that should work.

With regards to OPCEnum, please make sure you follow the instructions of the KB you referenced very close. The article mentions a typo in the documentation.

Thank you for your reply, Mr.Gregor.

Are both machines member of the same domain or are you operating in a workgroup environment?

>Both machines are members of workgroup environment.
              >Thus, I created local user account having same name and password on both.

What user account is running the PI OPC HDA process on the PI Data Archive host (PC1)?

>Normally SYSTEM account.
              >However, local user account is running only when connection from client succeeded.
              (As already I said, connection from client succeeds
                if I installed PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 Install Kit or OPC HDA Sample server from Opc foundation  on client. )  

What user account is executing the remote OPC HDA client process (PC2)?
              >Local user account which I created.
              >Strictly speaking, client is web client using IIS worker process
                 and I specified local user account to Application Pool.

Dear Mr.Gregor,

I resolved issue.
                After installing opchda_ps.dll in %windir%\SysWOW64
                and register dll.

Based on OPC Foundation,
                opchda_ps.dll is "OPC Historial Data Access 1.20 Proxy/Stub Library".

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Kenji Hashimoto

We have a case for this query. case 696390.

As Gregor said, Have you followed the KB01282 procedure correctly?

If you face any error message for doing following procedure, please let us know.

OPTION 2: Manually copy over the necessary files that are required to make the OPCClient.exe work (Refer to PI OPC Client user manual in the installation folder of PI OPC tool is installed: PIPC\PI OPC Tools\PI_OPCClient):

1. Copy over OPCEnum.exe, opcproxy.dll and opccomn_ps.dll. This is found in %windir%\SysWOW64 (64-bit machines) or %windir%\System32 (32-bit machines); copy it into the respective directory depending on target machine's bitness.
                2. On the target machine, run a command prompt as an administrator and navigate to the directory where the copied files are located (example command: cd /d %windir%\SysWOW64)
                3. Create the OPCEnum service from the command prompt (run as administrator): OPCEnum.exe -service
                4. Register both *.dll files from the command prompt (run as administrator): regsvr32 opcproxy.dll, and regsvr32 opccomn_ps.dll