4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 11:03 PM by kholstein

Online Training: Configuring a Simple PI System - April 2016 - Videos, Exercises, and Final Project

gfukuda

Hello everyone,

I have created this topic for discussing the video lectures and exercises as part of the Configuring a Simple PI System Online Course.

• Do you have a question or comment about one the videos you watched?
      • Would you like to share an idea you have for one of the exercises?
      • Is there any interface configurations or PI Security settings you are not quite sure about?

This is the place for you to ask questions, share thoughts, and even answer other students' questions with your own suggestions!

Thanks,

Graeme Fukuda

• Re: Configuring a Simple PI System - April 2016 - Videos, Exercises, and Final Project
          PeterTang

Hi,

When trying to connect to the VLE (not the first time), I'm getting the error message:

"Almost done provisioning. Please try to connect it back in few minutes."

which doesn't seem to be going away since yesterday.

How do I make it work again?

Thanks,

Peter

• Re: Configuring a Simple PI System - April 2016 - Videos, Exercises, and Final Project
            Hiego

Hi mr. Fukuda, when I connect with the PIINT1 virtual machine I can't find the PI System software installed. How can I proceed with the final project on my online course?

In this option

• Set up an additional instance of the PI Interface for OPC DA on machine PIINT

really we need the PI System software installed in PIDC and PIINT1?

Thank you in advance.

kholstein

Hi Hiego,

The final project is dependent on you having completed the rest of the course first. All of the necessary software is either installed or available in the form of an install kit on the machines. For instance, there is a functioning PI Data Archive and Asset Framework Server on PISRV1, and since PIDC is your domain controller, you should not need any PI software there.

When it comes to the PIINT1 machine, there is an OPC simulator already installed, however the PI Interface for OPC DA and PI Interface Configuration Utility (PI ICU) are not yet installed as that is part of what you're supposed to do in the course, specifically in the two videos denoted below. Additionally Exercise 4 asks you to install and configure an instance of the PI Interface for OPC DA, which you will need to do before you can complete the Final Project: Set Up a Simple PI System .

The install kits can be found from the shortcut on the desktop on PIINT1 to C:\Course Folder\Install Kits.

The Virtual Learning Environment is provided for this course so you can follow along throughout the duration of the course and get hands-on experience with every topic that's covered. Since the final project deals with load balancing your PI Points over multiple instances of the PI Interface for OPC DA, you'll need to at minimum complete the "Install and Configure a PI Interface" and "Create and Manage PI Points" sections of the course. I recommend also working with buffering since that's very important for minimizing data loss. The other topics in the course are up to you if you'd like to work on them and use the VLE to get hands on experience, however they are not completely necessary for the final project.