4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 5:55 PM by Lowreno

Why i am getting "IsSQLDatabaseCompatible=false" to connect  PIAF 2.7.5.7166  to SQL Server 2014 ?

Lowreno

I am getting the following message when I try to connect  a box of PI AF Server (AFService.exe version 2.7.5.7166 ) to another box of a dedicated instance of SQL Server 2014 w/ PIFD installed manually.

2016-04-11 16:56:12.287 [9276:7116]: Add New EventItem: EventArgs='Action='Change'', Sender='PI AF Server 'PWNPO-BHEPIAPP1''

2016-04-11 16:56:12.294 [9276:7116]:     SENDING CHANGED EVENT: Count=3

[0] Target='OSIsoft.AF.UI.PISystemPicker'

[1] Target='OSIsoft.AF.UI.PropertyPage.AFGeneralSystemPage'

[2] Target='OSIsoft.AF.UI.AFPropertySheet, Text: PI AF Server Properties'

2016-04-11 16:56:12.306 [9276:7116]: Start Raising 1 Top-Level EventItems

1. RaiseEventItem: EventArgs='Action='Change'', Sender='PI AF Server 'PWNPO-BHEPIAPP1''

Finished Raising 1 Total EventItems

2016-04-11 16:56:12.309 [9276:7116]: Add New EventItem: EventArgs='Action='Change'', Sender='PI AF Server 'PWNPO-BHEPIAPP1''

2016-04-11 16:56:12.309 [9276:7116]:     SENDING CHANGED EVENT: Count=3

[0] Target='OSIsoft.AF.UI.PISystemPicker'

[1] Target='OSIsoft.AF.UI.PropertyPage.AFGeneralSystemPage'

[2] Target='OSIsoft.AF.UI.AFPropertySheet, Text: PI AF Server Properties'

2016-04-11 16:56:12.309 [9276:7116]: Start Raising 1 Top-Level EventItems

1. RaiseEventItem: EventArgs='Action='Change'', Sender='PI AF Server 'PWNPO-BHEPIAPP1''

Finished Raising 1 Total EventItems

2016-04-11 16:56:12.310 [9276:7116]: GET PROXY: Serial Pool Count=0, MaxCount=1

2016-04-11 16:56:12.310 [9276:7116]: Attempting Connection(FirstAttempt=True, Member='<null>', Preference=PreferPrimary): WasFound=True, SelectedMember='<null>', Protocol=Tcp, Host='PWNPO-BHEPIAPP1', Port=5457, StreamedPort=5459, AccountName='netcemig\adm-srvpi', Timeout=00:05:00

2016-04-11 16:56:22.675 [9276:7116]: Proxy GetSystemVersions Returned: IsSQLDatabaseCompatible=False, ErrNumber=-2

2016-04-11 16:56:22.678 [9276:7116]:    CONNECT ERROR(-2) Unexpected

Cannot connect to PI AF Server.

2016-04-11 16:56:22.679 [9276:7116]: Cannot connect to host 'PWNPO-BHEPIAPP1' on first attempt but will retry.

>> Cannot connect to PI AF Server.

at OSIsoft.AF.PISystem.CheckServerConnectError(PISystem system, Int32 errNumber)

at OSIsoft.AF.Support.AFProxy.CheckGetSystemVersions(Boolean isSQLDatabaseCompatible, Int32 errNumber, Int32[] compatibilityNumbers, String[] versionStrings)

at OSIsoft.AF.Support.AFSerialProxy.GetSystemVersions(Int32[]& compatibilityNumbers, String[]& versionStrings)

at OSIsoft.AF.Support.AFProxy.Reconnect(Boolean autoPrompt, Boolean raiseEvents, AFConnectionProtocol protocol, String host, Int32 port, String accountName, TimeSpan timeout)

2016-04-11 16:56:22.679 [9276:7116]: Attempting Connection(FirstAttempt=False, Member='<null>', Preference=PreferPrimary): WasFound=False, SelectedMember='<null>', Protocol=Tcp, Host='', Port=5457, StreamedPort=5459, AccountName='', Timeout=00:05:00

2016-04-11 16:56:22.679 [9276:7116]: RETURN PROXY: Serial Pool Count=1, MaxCount=1

Does anyone have any idea what is happening ? I cannot find  WHAT is the reason of isSQLDatabaseCompatible is setting FALSE once the instance of database is an SQL Server 2014 (which is supported by PI AF)...

BTW: I am using the following "string connection" at  "C:\Program Files\PIPC\AF\AFService.exe.config" :   <add key="connectString" value="Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI;server=sa-corp-sql0\d;database=PIFD;Application Name=AF Application Server;"/>

Thanks in advance,

Lowreno.

• Re: Why i am getting "IsSQLDatabaseCompatible=false" to connect  PIAF 2.7.5.7166  to SQL Server 2014 ?
          gregor

Hello Lowreno,

I wasn't able to locate another occurrence of this error but believe that the issue could be a connection issue. What I am however uncertain about is what you are doing.

Can you please explain what you try to accomplish and describe the steps you are performing and where you fail?

• Re: Why i am getting "IsSQLDatabaseCompatible=false" to connect  PIAF 2.7.5.7166  to SQL Server 2014 ?
              Lowreno

Dear Gregor,

So, basically I have the following picture: 

- One server dedicated with SQL Server 2014. -> I installed manually PIFD using go.bat

- One server dedicated with PI AF Server ->  This server is starting the service AFService.exe (release 2.7.5.7166) with this domain/account: netcemig\adm-srvpi

- One "old" server with PIAF Server and SQL Server Express installed -> This box will be "killed" and substituted by the ones above.

All boxes are at the same domain and, I am using the same account to connect with the new instance of SQL Server 2014 with PIFD installed.

So, the problem occurs when I open PI System Explorer and can't connect to DB PIFD. The AFGetTrace is telling us that the problem is "IsSQLDatabaseCompatible=False, ErrNumber=-2"

I'd like to know what needs to be done to have success with this connection - unfortunatelly, there is not any reference/doc about this error.

Currently as I told, I have another PI AF Server installed at this domain (netcemig) with SQL Server express at the same machine.  My goal, is substitute this machine with two ones mentioned above. Obviously, I am installing a recently version of PI AF. Do you see any problem with that? or any other possible issue ?

IMHO, I don't see any problem with that, basically it's a new installation of PI AF Server and it should be connected without any problem with my new instance of SQL Server 2014, right?

Thanks for your help,

Lowreno.

gregor

Hello Lowreno,

I understand you have an old PI AF Server host that also runs a SQL Server Express instance. Let's refer this machine OldServer.

You have a new dedicated AF Server with PI AF Server 2015 R2 (2.7.5.7166) installed. Let's refer this as NewServer.

The 3rd node involved into your issue is a SQL Server 2014 host. Let's refer it SQLServer.

I assume that NewServer is currently configured to connect against PIFD on OldServer. Please confirm / clarify.

You are attempting to change the PIFD relationship for the AF Server running on NewServer from OldServer to SQLServer. Is this correct?

Is my understanding right that you are trying to do this through PI System Explorer and run into the error you posted? If so, I suggest to change the PI AF Server installation instead:

• On the NewServer open Control Panel -> Programs and Features
                  • Locate and select PI AF Server 2015 R2 and click on Change
                  • Navigate through the PI AF Server 2015 R2 Setup dialog until you see the SQL Server Connection configuration screen.
                  • Change the definition to SQLServer\<YourDBInstanceWithPIFD>
                  • Complete the Setup dialog.

Lowreno

Hi Gregor,

So, what you assumed is almost 100% correct ;-)... Considering your nomenclatures (OldServer, NewServer and SQLServer)  I'll let you you know the real situation:

- The NewServer is only connected to db PIFD into SQLServer.

- I didn't change anything into OldServer -> This server is running with some PIAF templates/structures which are not used in our company.

- I just need to make the NewServer connect to SQLServer. In the near future, new PIAF templates/structures will be building into these servers.

- The main idea is kill OldServer. However, came into my mind an idea: Could I leave this server just a "play ground" ?

Thanks,

Lowreno.