2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 6:31 PM by tmcmanus

Configuring a Simple PI System - Configuring Instance of PI Interface for OPC DA

HansvandenBovenkamp

Hi All,

I created a instance of PI Interface for OPC DA,

loaded new Interface Instance from .BAT file.

Everything went well. Like the method.

I have a question, this example in the training is for OPC DA.

When I want to create interfaces for other protocols,

for excample OPC HDA or XTC. Can i use this method as well,

only other .Bat files, or is there a other method for installing these interfaces.

Second question, Is it possibel to change parameters in the .Bat files.

Tanks for your reply

Kind regards

Knipsel.PNG

• Re: Configuring a Simple PI System - Configuring Instance of PI Interface for OPC DA
          Steve Boyko

If you create your own interface, you won't be able to configure it with PI-ICU. The standard OSIsoft interfaces install a PI-ICU plugin when you install them on a system, and that plugin provides the extra tab like the OPCInt tab shown here. That PI-ICU plugin format is proprietary as far as I know. You would have to provide your own method for configuring and installing the service.

For your second question, if you manually edit the opcint1.bat file, the next time you open PI-ICU and select that interface, it will prompt you for the mismatch between the batch file and the interface parameters stored in the PI server's module database. You'll get the opportunity to decide which one you want to keep and PI-ICU will then synchronize them again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Configuring a Simple PI System - Configuring Instance of PI Interface for OPC DA
              tmcmanus

Hi Hans,

All standard OSI interfaces can be configured via ICU in exactly the method you described. Each interface's installation will create it's own folder in your %pipc%\Interfaces directory, and there will be a default .bat_new file that you can load in to get started.

Once your .bat file is loaded to ICU, it is linked with your new interface, which you can manage and configure in ICU. Changes you make via ICU are actually modifications directly to the .bat file in the form of various switches (eg. /PS=O /GA=Y /f=00:00:01). All possible batch file switches are represented in the ICU options, so you normally shouldn't have to resort to manually editing a .bat file.

As Steve mentioned, however, if you do decide to manually edit a .bat file, the next time you load the interface in ICU it will prompt you which version you want to keep: the new settings of the batch file, or the last known settings that ICU was aware of.

Loading your interface to ICU is known as "registering" it with the PI Data Archive listed in the /host= field. The interface's configuration information is then stored in the PI Data Archive's Module Database under the %OSI module. This is how ICU can maintain the "last known settings" of files. If you choose to override the interface to accept manual modifications to a .bat file, ICU will update those settings within the interface's configuration in the MDB.

Also, fun fact:

Every time you save the interface in ICU, ICU will take a 'backup' of your .bat file by commenting out the last line of the interface's .bat file and writing a brand new one after it. This is nifty if you ever need to revert back to a previous configuration and don't quite remember what everything was set as.

4 of 4 people found this helpful