AnsweredAssumed Answered

Upgrading Pi Manual Logger Handheld Device

Question asked by mblair on Apr 22, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 25, 2016 by tmcmanus

My power plant has used Pi Manual logger for several years. The current system software has been upgraded to Pi Manual Logger 2014 R2. The current handheld rounds keeper is an old, almost obsolete, Motorola MC55 running Windows Mobile 6.1. Due to fact that the handheld devices are nearing obsolescence and it is becoming harder and harder to find replacements and/or replacement parts, we decided to upgrade the handheld devices to tablets. We purchased Panasonic toughpads running Windows 7 professional.

The Manual Logger documentation lead us to believe that upgrading to Pi Manual Logger 2014, would allow us to use tablets in a "disconnected mode" until all of the rounds have been taken. Then, when the tablets were back in area of network connectivity, the tablet could be synced with the SQL server and the new rounds data transferred to the Pi server via the SQL server. In a nutshell, continue to use the system the way we do now but instead of using the old Motorola MC55 handheld devices, we wanted to use tablets as the handheld devices.

Little to our knowledge, prior to purchasing the new tablets, it appears that in order to use the tablets they must be connected to the network (containing the SQL server) continuously. At our power plant, this is not feasible without spending an exorbitant amount of money to provide wireless/wired network coverage throughout the entire facility.

So, I have a few questions that maybe some of you can help me with:

1. Have you upgraded from the old Windows Mobile hand held devices to tablets and used them in an offline/disconnected mode to take rounds data and then transferred that data to Pi?

2. Is there any third party software out there that allows for data collection in an offline/disconnected mode that would be able to be interfaced with Pi?

3. Is there another solution out there offered by Osi Soft, other than Pi Manual Logger, that would accomplish what I am trying to do?

Sorry for the long winded post as I was trying to convey as much information and detail as possible. If you have any further questions, then please feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Thank you for your help!

Outcomes