merighm

PerformancePoint

Discussion created by merighm on Dec 14, 2008
Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 by formerpigeek

[Edit after first post: I have posted this before reading the document "Streaming Business Intelligence" available in the vCampus Library section. ]

While reading two books about Microsoft PerformancePoint 2007 lately, it was hard for me not to notice 'themes' that are familiar to us readers of OSIsoft documentation and marketing materials.  The books (1) tell you that PerformancePoint alleviates the problem caused by data silos, (2) remind you that you cannot manage what you cannot measure, (3) encourage you to get into a 'monitor, analyze, plan' cycle, (4) recommend building a 'data warehouse to provide one version of the truth', etc...  In other words, at least in product litterature, there is a huge overlap between what many would like to do with PI, on one hand, and what PerformancePoint promises, on the other.

After starting with the question of "Where does PerformancePoint fit in a PI-based infrastructure?", it is easy to end up asking this question the other way around "Where does PI fit in a PerformancePoint-centric solution?"  It would be really interesting to determine which of these "product-centric" perspectives is more technically correct, and under what conditions.

I do not have first hand experience with PerformancePoint to determine what is hyped in the documentation vs. what is really powerful in it.  But the examples addressed in the books seem to show that the platform delivers attractive methods of monitoring and analyzing data.  So, perhaps, a more practical question would be to ask, "what would it take to develop a PI-centric solution that delivers PerformancePoint-like monitoring and analysis features but without using PerformancePoint?"  How short-sighted is it to seek value primarily through PeformancePoint and consider PI as only one type of data source in the overall solution?

Finally, knowing that OSIsoft is a Microsoft Gold Partner, it would be nice to know if AF Roadmap is affected at all by the "expected/predicted" evolution of the Microsoft PerformancePoint.

I know I am only thinking out loud here, but it would be nice to hear other thoughts on this subject.

Mohamed

Outcomes