9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2015 9:06 AM by gregor

Process Book 3.1 and SDK 1.3.6

Joe Devine

I had an interesting occurance last week when we transitoned a PI server to a new IP address and DNS name.  With the previous version of Process Book and SDK the conversion of displays was straight forward where you could simply open the Process Book Displays with the new server information after removing the old server information and you would be asked to replace the server that was referenced in the displays with the new server.  With PB 3.1 and SDK 1.3.6 opening the PB with the old server reference even if the server has been removed from the PI SDK connections list and removed from the registry the server name is re-created automatically and the conversion of the PB does not occur.  I watched as the SDK created a new registry entry for the old PI server so I logged in as a user instead of an administrator on the machine and the registry change still occured.

Has anyone else observed this behavior?

• Re: Process Book 3.1 and SDK 1.3.6
          Hi Joe, can't be certain but this might be by design now that the PISDK knows about collectives.  I remember reading somewhere that PISDK can gather information on systems in a collective and auotmatically add systems to the KST thus registry gets updated with the connection. No point a client not having connection to collective members in event of a failover. Are the servers part of a collective?

This is new PI SDK (1.3.6) behaviour - not a PI ProcessBook one. And similarly to other PI SDK settings (including the Known Servers List), this is a "per-workstation" setting.

Go to the Connection Manager (PI ProcessBook > File > Connections  or  Start > Programs > PI System > AboutPI-SDK). Then select Options under the Tools menu. The option you're looking for is the "Automatically add unknown servers" checkbox. Just clear it and off you go!

Joe Devine

Steve, I see the option now.  Very useful when enabled for the right situation but it is very good as well that it can be turned off.  Thank you, Joe

ldieffenbach

Hi, Joe. I'm the Product Manager for PI ProcessBook at OSIsoft. It looks like you've gotten the information you need from Steve, but I wanted to note that we've considered better ways for people to migrate displays from one PI Server to another (without that Select New Node dialog popping up).

Most likely, it would be a utility that you would run against a file or set of files to change the PI Server references. Does that sound like it would be useful?

Regards,

Laurie

(Joe sorry to jump in here) Laurie, how does the utility work in principle? Is it just automation by using the ProcessBook application object and manipulating the displays/procbooks or does it change references without actually loading the display files?  We have written our own "server switcher" using automation for a client so would be interesting to see how OSI do it.  For example, it looks at all symbols, multistates, trend traces, datasets etc and changes from one server to another, it can parse whole directories too. 

ldieffenbach

In principle, the utility works just as you describe, more or less. There is an executable the runs outside of PI ProcessBook, it instaniates a hidden instance of the application, recurses through the files and uses automation to adjust the PI Server references in the symbol definitions.

We've actually built a framework to collect a set of such utilities so that adding a new one to operate on a set of files can just be snapped in. These things are traditionally available from the Tech Support web site for customers with SRP, but we have been considering making a general release of those that are currently available. It would be similar to packaging and releasing PI SMT tools.

Olareallygs

Please help me

How can i setup trust for processbook users on pi server without adding their IP on Pi server.

Thanks