3 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 1:53 PM by gregor

Query about PI OPC DA/HDA Server 

jainc_paresh

Hello Folks,

Greetings for the day!

Need to understand is

1. PI OPC DA/HDA Server license and PI OPC Interface license for DA both are same?
      2. PI OPC DA/HDA Server software has to be installed on separate server or it is fine if we install this on PI Server or other PI OPC Interface system? What is recommended best practice.

Thank in advance to assist me on my query.

Thanks & Regards,

Paresh Jain

• Re: Query about PI OPC DA/HDA Server 
          Steve Boyko

HI Paresh, the PI OPC Interface license is used to talk to an external OPC server and pull data into the PI Data Archive (and optionally write data to the external OPC server).

The PI OPC DA/HDA Server is an add-on to the PI Data Archive to make PI look like an OPC server for external clients.

Think of the PI OPC Interface as software to pull data into PI and the DA/HDA Server as software to let data be pulled out of PI.

You can install either piece of software together or separately. Best practice depends on your usage, size of the system, etc. In general it is not good practice to install it all on one computer but it really depends on the size of your system among other factors.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jainc_paresh

Hello Steve,

Greetings for the day and thank you for your valuable feedback.

But 2 query still remains in my mind.

1. Is PI OPC Interface software which is used to pull the data from OPC Server's and push is to PI Server, and PI OPC DA/HDA Server both softwares are same or separate software's?
              2. If so Do have to purchase both the licenses separately ?
              3. You also mention this (DA/HDA Server) The PI OPC DA/HDA Server is an add-on to the PI Data Archive, then do I have to install this on PI Server?

Thank you again.

Regards,

Paresh Jain

gregor

Hello Paresh,

Please allow me to connect you with your account manager at OSIsoft by separate email for your question on how to obtain licenses.

Technically, PI Interface for OPC DA is a different product then PI OPC DA/HDA Server 2010 even both use the same libraries for accessing PI data. Please note that there's a PI OPC DA Server 2015 R2 available which is based on AF SDK but supports access to just the PI Data Archive. It supports the OPC DA but not the OPC HDA standard.

Usually all PI products can be installed remote to the PI Data Archive (PI Server).

1 of 1 people found this helpful