4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 10:42 AM by GBellido_KBC

Failure Upgrading to PI Web API 2016

James Devine

Hello:

I would like to upgrade to PI Web API 2016 on my development device. Currently I have PI Web API 2015 R3 installed. According to the instructions the new installer should remove the older version, but it goes part way through the install process and then rolls back without installing. This drove me to attempt uninstalling or removing PI Web API 2015 R3 separately using various methods. All of them have failed.

After running the PI Web API 2016 setup, and it fails, in the 'SetupPIWebAPIMaster.log' file I have the following entry:

"Installation of PI Web API 2016 has failed. Setup return code 1603. InstallThread Error 1603."

The support blogs seems to indicate the 'Install Thread Error 1603' is due to insufficient authority over the directory hosting the files. So I suppose my first question is where are the installed files typically located? My numerous searches using file explorer have yielded no results. Ugh!

My follow up question is what other things can I try to successfully upgrade? (BTW I am running Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7, 64 bit OS)

• Re: Failure Upgrading to PI Web API 2016
          asorokina

Hi James,

1603 is a very generic error. More details on this error can be found in the verbose installation log at the %pihome%\dat directory. The file name should be something like SetupPIWebAPI.log (not sure this is the exact name for the 2016 version. Edit: confirming the file name for the 2016 version is SetupPIWebAPI.log. Example path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\dat\SetupPIWebApi.log).

The log file content may not be trivial to go through. I recommend that you get in touch with our Tech Support folks if you'd like an assistance deciphering it.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Failure Upgrading to PI Web API 2016
            GBellido_KBC

Hi James,

Did you finally solved this issue?

I’m getting the same issue trying to upgrade PI Web API from 2015 to 2016 R2. I saw the installer uninstalls previous versions of PI Web API before installing the new one. So I tried uninstalling PI Web API 2015 manually from Windows Programs first but I get the same error related insufficient authority. I am local administrator on the machine. Any idea of what could be causing this issue?

Thanks