8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 8:04 AM by andreas

RSS feeds & Google Reader

mweiss

Has anyone used Google Reader (or any RSS reader) successfully with the vCampus feeds?

I've tried subscribing to Discussion Hall RSS feeds, specific blog feeds, and several others with no luck (google reader and the Windows application "Feeddemon" both show errors (they basically can't download the XML of the feed).

One feed did work: http://vcampus.osisoft.com/blogs/MainFeed.aspx

I suspect this is due to the login requirements of the site. While I have set my browsers to remember my vCampus login (by checking remember me) but this doesn't help. I guess even web-based readers won't be able to pass-along the login cookie vCampus must be using (they must get the feeds xml on their back-end).

Any suggestions??

• Re: RSS feeds & Google Reader
          andreas

Hello Michael,

yes - at the moment the RSS feeds do not work due to the login requirements. You may use instead the Email Subscription on a topic that is of interest for you.

Also the "Posts you have not read" link http://vcampus.osisoft.com/forums/TopicsNotRead.aspx?ForumID=-1 might be usefull.

regards,

As Andreas pointed out, the current setup prevents RSS Feeds to work properly because they are sitting behing authentication (the OSIsoft Single Sign-On - SSO).

Another suggestion for you is to use the Forum Subscriptions link under SHORTCUTS in the Discussion Hall; it allows you to subscribe to plain email notifications instead of RSS.

As for the posts in the Bloggers' Place, I'm afraid you'll have to check regularly to read interesting stuff that OSI'ers have to say

mweiss

Thanks for the feedback!

Steve Pilon

As for the posts in the Bloggers' Place, I'm afraid you'll have to check regularly to read interesting stuff that OSI'ers have to say

This feed: http://vcampus.osisoft.com/blogs/MainFeed.aspx does somehow work without authentication. This seems to provide me with a way to keep up with the bloggers without need to check constantly. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

Publishing feeds without authentication that contain limited information (maybe only titles and links to the real, protected, content) seems like something that could work. Just my 2 cents.

You are right in that the "main blog feed" works, whereas the "blog-specific" ones and the discussion forums ones do not.

We came accross a bit of a technical challenge around the fact that most of the content on vCampus must somehow be protected (i.e. unavailable to general public), and that they are behind  A) SSO   and  B) a vCampus account.

That said, this is very high on our list of priorities and I can assure you that we are actively working on this (as lately as 5 minutes ago, actually!) Stay tuned :)