Asle Frantzen

Discussion: Will the data historian die?

Discussion created by Asle Frantzen Champion on Jun 1, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 26, 2018 by Asle Frantzen

I just read this article and found it quite interesting: Will the Data Historian Die in a Wave of IIoT Disruption?

A lot of traditional IT companies (Microsoft, IBM, etc) are on the move into the cloud, and although we all know that a time series database is the best location for time series data, it's no doubt that they will be trying to position themselves in the market traditionally belonging to automation/data historians.

Loads of new functionality is being released every day with IoT (and IIoT - Industrial Internet of Things, as mentioned in the article), analytics and cloud. I think there's been 35 new features added to Microsoft's Azure just the first five months of the year. With sensors connecting directly to the internet, will people still go for the traditional "data historian"?

What do you think? Are OSIsoft moving fast enough, and in the right direction, to stay up there during the explosion of devices, tools and cloud-based infrastructures coming?

I particularly noticed the quote "Splunk in 7 years has more revenue than OSISoft in 35".

Outcomes