6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 12:21 AM by gaoshuai

Pi Web Api service

luis.dominguez

Hello

Im trying to use the PI web api, i can pass all the initial configuration, but when the service attempts to start, if trhows the error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

I tried several fixes including, modifying the registry with ServicePipeTimeout, but it still occurs the error

How can I fix that?

• Re: Pi Web Api service
          jpennington

Hi Luis,

Could I ask what version of PI Web API you are using? I am also curious if the service is running as "Local System" or a domain account. This sounds like it may be an issue with the account that PI Web API is running as having sufficient permissions on the PI AF Server. Checking the Windows Event Viewer logs after attempting to start the service should help narrow down the issue.

luis.dominguez

Hi John

Thanks for you reply

Im using the Pi Web API 2016 the latest version

Also I see in the services the API like this:

Name: PI Web API 2016

Description: A restful API...

Startup Type: Automatic (Delayed Start) *I change this to manually and automatic with no success

Log on As: NT Service\piwebapi

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Luis,

Two things I would check on the PI Web API  server:

• Open the Command Promt with admin privileges and go to the %PIHOME64%\WebAPI folder. Then run OSIsoft.REST.Host.exe and check the error message.
                  • Open the Windows Event Viewer and check the PIWebAPI folder under Applications and Services Log. Do you see any error message under the Admin folder? You can right click on the PIWebAPI folder and then go to View --> Show Analytic and Debug Logs. You will be able to view the Analytics and Debug folders as well. Finally, just right click on those folder and select "Enable Log". Check the content of those 3 folders after trying to start PI Web API.

Let us know the results!

gaoshuai

Hi Luis, did you have resolved this problem?

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Gao,

Are you facing the same issue? Did you follow the instructions above?

gaoshuai

yes, Marcos, I am facing the same issue. And I follow the instructions above as you mentioned.

@Marcos Vainer Loef

The screenshot is below and the detailed information is following:

Detailed information:

Log Name:      PIWebAPI/Admin

Source:        PIWebAPI

Date:          7/14/2016 4:02:06 PM

Event ID:      3

Task Category: AdminMessage

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Session0,Session1,Session2,Session3

User:          NT SERVICE\piwebapi

Computer:      ITSSGSGW01215.jnj.com

Description:

[Host]: The service will stop due to an unhandled exception.

System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityNegotiationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The target principal name is incorrect

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.Security.NegoState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult, Byte[] message, Exception exception)

at System.Net.Security.NegoState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] message, LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)

at System.Net.Security.NegoState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] message, LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)

at System.Net.Security.NegoState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)

at System.Net.Security.NegotiateStream.AuthenticateAsClient(NetworkCredential credential, String targetNam

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="PIWebAPI" Guid="{21B44454-1081-59F5-8C28-7F53000A91CF}" />

<EventID>3</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>65531</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000f00000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-07-14T08:02:06.224135300Z" />

<EventRecordID>22</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="7628" ThreadID="11288" />

<Channel>PIWebAPI/Admin</Channel>

<Computer>ITSSGSGW01215.jnj.com</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-80-1143366187-2805966828-1971289575-931675289-2233629655" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="componentName">Host</Data>

<Data Name="message">The service will stop due to an unhandled exception.

System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityNegotiationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. ---&gt; System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. ---&gt; System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The target principal name is incorrect

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.Security.NegoState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult, Byte[] message, Exception exception)

at System.Net.Security.NegoState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)

at System.Net.Security.NegotiateStream.AuthenticateAsClient(NetworkCredential credential, String targetNam</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>