3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 11:47 PM by John Messinger

How can I tell which bit version of PI I have (32 or 64)?

DavidMFairchild

I have several PI systems to upgrade sometime in the next few years and am trying to estimate the cost of doing so.  The versions are 3.4.380, 3.4.385 and 3.4.390.  All of these systems are available in 32 and 64 bit.  I would like to be able to tell the bit version with PI-SMT but don't see how.  Even the Windows Registry stores ..PISystem\PI in both HKLM\SOFTWARE and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node.

Any ideas?

• Re: How can I tell which bit version of PI I have (32 or 64)?
          lmurphy

Hi David,

You have a few options here.

1. Open a command prompt, and type cd %piserver%\adm. Then, type piversion.bat -v. Near the top, it should indicate the Installation binaries as either 32 or 64 bit.

2. The installation directory of %piserver% should also indicate which bitness of the PI Server you have installed. For instance, if it is in "Program Files", then it should be 64-bit, and conversely "Program Files (x86)" would indicate 32-bit.

3. Open Task Manager and look at the PI Subsystem Processes. A good example subsystem would be the PI Base Subsystem. If it is a 32-bit process, it will indicate it next to the process name. It will either say (32 bit) after the process name, or be followed by *32.

Hope this helps!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • Re: How can I tell which bit version of PI I have (32 or 64)?
            John Messinger

This may not be the most elegant solution, but it should tell you easily enough. Open Task Manager and look for any of the PI subsystem processes. You will be able to easily see if it is running as a 32 or 64 bit process:

In my case above, I'm running 64 bit PI, with the 32 bit services easily identifiable as such. Older versions of Windows will show a slightly different view, but will still distinguish between 32 and 64 bit processes.