4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 11:17 AM by Roger Palmen

Weather Normalized Energy Consumption

b.hobby

Hi Folks,

Any one out there done anything about calculating Weather Normalized Energy Consumption for buildings yet?

I'm looking at comparing buildings on a University Campus over time to assess the impact of our improvements in control and behaviour and need to control for weather variability.

I've turned up  RETScreen | Natural Resources Canada which looks promising as a first pass and learning for me on what it's all about.

If someone out there has already done it in an AF template I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.

Regards Brian

• Re: Weather Normalized Energy Consumption
          lmurphy

Hi Brian,

I believe Marwan Osman is working on something very similar to this! Perhaps he can chime in to add some details.

mosman

Hi Brian

We are currently working on an AF Example Kit for the Facilities and Energy Management Industry. The Kit is being built for Air Handling Units (AHU) and Variable Air Volume (VAV) boxes. The Kit will contain Fault Detection rules for each. Did you have a particular focus in mind that would not be covered, at least based on the general information I've provided here?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                b.hobby

Hi Marwan,

AHU's and VAV's would be most excellent as well when I get the BMS data across into PI; I'm interested in the whole building energy.

For example we have 130ish buildings across 5 campuses that I have electrical power and energy consumption values for by day. (ok power every 20 seconds and energy every 10mins)

If today was exceptionally hot and humid compared to this day last year then I will have used more energy as a result but the building itself may actually be using less due to efficiency measures that are masked by the weather vagaries.

Additionally Brisbane varies from hot and humid to pleasant and dry from summer to winter so we have a very distinct energy profile by building that matches that - looking to see if it would be possible to get to a "normalised/standard" day independent of, or allowing for current ambient weather conditions.

We have weather stations on site and are in the process of getting the kWr for cooling by buildings as well in the near future.

So really looking for a measure that allows weather independent energy comparative measures over time to check we are minimising our total energy footprint.

This will be different by building as they all have subtly different use cases and energy profiles depending on labs vs academic vs teaching vs admin vs age vs fabric etc.

Regards Brian

Roger Palmen

I have not done this for specifically for energy usage, but for water consumption.

You could use temperature indexes: duration in hours multiplied by the temperature difference between current temperature and yearly mean temperature. That will give you a measure how many hours / energy of hot or cold weather you need to compensate. Use that factor to bring energy consumption back to a normalized factor. Or use measures like energy consumption divided by temperature difference between required and outside temperature.

This is loosely an implementation of degree-days. A good read on the topic: Degree Days - Handle with Care!