10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2012 11:41 AM by andreas

RtTable and hierarchical data

formerpigeek

Hello,

Is possible to use RtTable to show hiearchical data? I should have a following report as shown below:
      City1
               City1Param1   City1Param2 City1Param3
      City2
               City2Param1   City2Param2 City2Param3
      CityN
               CityNParam1   CityNParam2 CityNParam3

Every dataitem is stored as a tag and value. E.g. tag XA_CITYA = City1, XA_CITYA_PARAM1 = City1Param1 etc. I didn't find a solution how to do this.

Can anyone plase help how to approach this problem and what is the best method to implement this?

Best Regards,
      Mikko

• Re: RtTable and hierarchical data

I see this if your first post - welcome to the forum!

At this time, the RtTable web part does not support displaying hierarchical data. Depending on what you want to do, I can see 2 scenarios:

1. If you want to display much information on a selected record:
            You can set up 2 RtTable webparts that work together with Web Parts Connections: the first one displays parent records and is set up to provide parameters to the next RtTable web part, which would display the details for the parent record when selected.
          2. If you want to display details on several records at the same time (which I think is what you want to do):
            You could gather and organize the data from the PI Points using the PI OLEDB Provider, configure that as an OLEDB Data Set in RtBaseline Services and display that in the RtTable web part.
            As I wrote before, RtTable does not support displaying hierarchical data at this time, so the data would have to be formatted as follows:
                            City1    City1Param1   City1Param2   City1Param3
                            City2    City2Param1   City2Param2   City2Param3
                            CityN    CityNParam1   CityNParam2   CityNParam3

I do hope this helps you achieve what you want. We'll see if anybody comes up with a better idea :)
          Please let us know if you need any assistance setting things up in RtBaseline Services or using the PI OLEDB Provider (you might want to post these questions in the PI OLEDB Development forum instead).

formerpigeek

Thanks mate!!!! I test it right away. Cheers, Mikko

formerpigeek

Hello Steve,

Your suggestions sounds good but there is one thing in my case that makes this hard to implement.

Like I wrote CityX is the name of group than can contains multiple rows like below.

City1   

City1Param1   City1Param2   City1Param3

Problem is 3 th party vendor has made a oridinary WebPart (not PI) where CityX is defined into XML file.

I would get rid of this custom WebPart if possible and use your standard PI WebParts. So, could I define a table into piarchive which would contain City names? Or what whould be the nicest way to do it.

You suggestions especially first one sounds great, but this XML data thing makes it difficult.

Thanks,

Mikko

andreas

Hi Mikko,

You have a list in the XML file that contains City1, City2, ... CityX. This list you want to replace by something else - this is my understanding.

As you want to use this for selection purposes (this is my understanding) you might think of putting this "list" in the PI ModuleDB - this will allow you to have a hirachical tree in RtWebparts that can be selected. Each module can contain properties that you can use than for passing info to a query that retrieves data from PI or somewhere else.

If your CityParams are tags, you could use Aliases in the PI MDB and pass the list of tags to another webpart.

As the modules have not a specified content (you can customize properties as you need them) you can even use this place to store some information that is not changed over time (e.g. location, etc.)

regards,