4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2009 5:15 PM by formerpigeek

PI Main Server and a second child PI Host

formerpigeek

Hello,

We have a case where PI Main Server is installed into one physical Windows Server and then another physical Windows Server (Child PI Host) is running Sharepoint/Moss Applications. SharePoint/Moss Applications are using data that resides in PI Main Server's database.

What PI software this kind of Child PI Host needs that it gives support for data e.g. to SharePoint PI Applications (communication with Main Server)? Some kind of subset but what excatly?

I would also like to know that if I start to build this kind of Child PI Host that supports SharePoint/Moss applications should I first install SharePoint/Moss and after that PI software? Or how can I configure these two different Servers communicate each other?

Like to also know that could e.g. SharePoint/Moss software version update break PI configuration so that these too Servers can't communicate anymore.

Best Regards,

Mikko

• Re: PI Main Server and a second child PI Host

MeteoriittiDeveloper

What PI software this kind of Child PI Host needs that it gives support for data

The PI software you need on that "Child PI Host" is RtWebParts. This products will install RtBaseline Services (RtBLS), which is what exposes data for Microsoft SharePoint to consume. RtBLS can expose data from 3 different types of sources: PI Servers, Relational Databases and Web Services.

MeteoriittiDeveloper

should I first install SharePoint/Moss and after that PI software?

You should first install SharePoint/MOSS and then install the PI software

MeteoriittiDeveloper

that could e.g. SharePoint/Moss software version update break PI configuration so that these too Servers can't communicate anymore.

I'm not sure I totally understand this one, but as long as you have the appropriate ports open on the network (see this article on the Technical Support website) and you have appropriate PI Trusts in place (consult the "RtWebParts Administrator Guide" on the vCampus Library, under vCampus PI Products Set > Client Products > RtWebParts>.

Hope this helps!