4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2009 8:40 PM by spilon

What can I do with an ARC file

mfalkowski

I have recieved an ARC file and an ANN file from one of my clients.

I have a Pi Server Set up on my Desktop.

I'd like to import the data to my server, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

I believe I need to know what the TAGS on the data are that I am importing, but I don't know how to read these two files.

I started reading this article; http://techsupport.osisoft.com/knowledge+center/system+manager+resources/backfilling+with+piconfig.htm, but was unable to find the PI Archive Manager.

Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

• Re: What can I do with an ARC file

Hi...in the nicest possible way, have you had any PI System Management training?  Whilst people could point you in the right direction it would be much more beneficial for your knowledge and understanding to get some official training under your belt.

mfalkowski

You couldn't have said it nicer, and right you are. 

I am a developer looking to populate the PI Server and then access the Data through ADO.  I've actually suceeded in that piece of it (accessing the sample data).

Once I figure out how to repopulate the Server with 5 or 6 different sets of sample Data and be able to swap them out or distinguish between them, I am expecting that I will know what I need to know.  Can you suggest one of the training moduules that would cover that?

Thanks

As far as Training opportunities goes, I'd like to tell you we have something coming up for you on vCampus, sooner than you may think! If you go on the Training Center you can see that 3 things are cooking up for you in 2009 and one of those says "Coming really soon!"... well that's enough of a hint for now :)

The training course (whether Instructor-led or Computer-based) you want to look for is "PI System Manager I: Essential Skills". Check out our Training website for more information, as well as as schedules and registration.

Now here's an answer to your original question: you cannot do much with an archive file (your .ARC) and its annotation file (the accompanying .ANN) if you don't have the PI Points Database that goes with it (some PIPoints.dat file). While some additional files are usually benefitial, you can start playing with the data once you have these 3 pieces - given that the PI Points you are looking at are indeed present in that PI Points database.