7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 5:34 PM by ldieffenbach

AF contexts

Are there any examples for creating AF contextual displays - changing models & elements in AF modeler (v1.3) would update tags/objects in the display.  I would rather not use Module Database.  Or is this coming with next releases of AF & the modeller?

• Re: AF contexts
          andreas

Hi Rhys,

are you thinking of something similar to a module relative, in other words you select an AF Element and have attributes used in the display, select a different elelement and the attributes in the display change etc?

Or are you thinking of something similar to http://vcampus.osisoft.com/forums/t/110.aspx and you want to update the display whenever the database get's changed?

regards,

Hi Andreas,

Yeah looking for something similar to module relative displays.  So selecting an Element from the browser would cause all symbols that are assigned attributes or sub element attributes to change in relation to the newly selected element.

So far I think I would need to create a custom addin (dockable window) to do this how I would like but would be great if this can be done without creating something custom..?  The vCampus presentation on .Net addins for ProcessBook yesterday got my mind racing.

Cheers,

Rhys.

andreas

Hi Rhys,

yes - that webinar was cool - a lot of stuff where you can extend ProcessBook...

But I guess I have to pull in one of the AF guys for this. A module relative display like thing would realy simplify life here. But if you do it in ProcessBook, you will have to do it for RtWebparts as well. So I guess it will be not one of the simplest things.

The Engineering Plan might offer some short term help in another form:
                  >Q2-2009 Windows
                  >MDB to AF Compatibility
                  >Makes all MDB applications AF aware

So let's see what the AF developers can say about that.

ldieffenbach

Hi, Rhys! Thanks for your question about contextual AF displays. As it happens, PI ProcessBook 3.2 will include a new add-in called the Element Relative Display add-in (or something similar). The current plan is to release something this summer, but there will be a demonstration at the User Conference in the ProcessBook demo pod.

If you are in attendance, I'd be happy to discuss it with you then.

Regards,

Laurie Dieffenbach

OSIsoft Product Manager, PI ProcessBook and related products

Good news Laurie...thanks.  Sounds as though it is exactly what we need, will be good to see a demonstration of it.  Hoping to make the UC but at present I will be in Eastern Europe just before it so we will see if I get time to fly the 15 hours to get to San Francisco!

Just a thought, will this be for AF Modeller v1.3 or will it be part of a new AF Modeller add in?
                        For some Sigmafine v4 installations this will need to work with v1.3 of the Modeller.

ldieffenbach

Rys,

The Element Relative Display (ERD) add-in will be delivered as an integral part of PI ProcessBook v3.2, like its predecessor, the Module Relative Display add-in. At the current time, the AF Modeler is released and installed separately.

From a user's perspective, creating and working with an element relative display would involve a different docking window than the one(s) provided by the AF Modeler, but this functionality will be available even if the AF Modeler is not present.

In terms of AF version compatibility, the ERD add-in relies on an AF 2.0 custom dataset, which is designed to work with the newer versions of the AF database. My understanding is that the AF Client v1.3.2 (which is used by the AF Modeler 1.2, which is compatible with the newer versions of PI ProcessBook) can work with either AF 1.3.x servers or AF 2.x servers, using the Compatibility layer. I don't know whether the AF 2.0 dataset can read AF 1.3.x servers, but it isn't designed to do so.