4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 8:15 PM by gregor

Modify DeltaV auto generated tags - Advanced Continuous Historian

kgross1958

I have DeltaV's Advanced Continuous Historian.

An auto generation was done of the tags in DeltaV Advanced Continuous Historian and sent to the Plant PI Server.

Everything is working fine and tags are being historized and are getting populated in the Plant PI Server just fine.

But................

The auto generated PI tags that were generated by DeltaV's Advanced Continuous Historian look like this:

FIC101/PID1/PV.CV

But when this tag is used in the Plant PI Server for calculations, the PI Server does not like the "/" in the tag.

Does anyone know of a utility that I can run on the DeltaV Advanced Continuous Historian that will change this "FIC101/PID1/PV.CV to something that the PI Server will like (FIC101.PID1.PV.CV or FIC101_PID1_PV.CV)?

• Re: Modify DeltaV auto generated tags - Advanced Continuous Historian
          pthivierge

Hello Kevin,

Can you provide more details on the auto generation?

That would be good to understand how this part works to see if there are options for the renaming in-between the two systems.

On my system I can create tags containing the "/" character. Can you also explain what it the problem you encounter with your tags?

If you look into KB00043 - Can non-English characters be used in tag names, modules names, module database alias names, and properties na… you will find more information about supported characters in tag names.

With this information we should be able to guide you further,

kgross1958

Hello Patrice,

Thank you so much for responding to my request.

As far as historizing the information in DeltaV's Advanced Continuous Historian and transferring that information to the Customers PI Server there is no issue with this with a PI tag similar to:

FIC101/PID1/PV.CV

The problem begins when the Customer wants to reference this PI tag, (FIC101/PID1/PV.CV), in a calculation on the PI Server. Such as they want to totalize half of this flow. (FIC101/PID1/PV.CV / 2)

This is where the problem surfaces.

The "/" in the PI tag is being treated as mathematical by the calculation on the PI Server.

Thus, it cannot get the historical values of the actual PI tag, (FIC101/PID1/PV.CV).

If the PI Tag was (FIC101_PID1_PV_CV) instead of (FIC101/PID1/PV.CV), the calculation would work fine.

I don't know how much you know about DeltaV's Advanced Continuous Historian, but I have been able to export its current PI tags out to a .CSV file and I could change the PI Tags so they are more like (FIC101_PID1_PV_CV) but I do NOT know how to get the new PI Tags into DeltaV's Advanced Continuous Historian after I have renamed the PI tags.

Also, how do I get rid of (delete) the old PI Tags from DeltaV's Advanced Continuous Historian.

Kevin

pthivierge

Hello Kevin,

Within the PI System, when performing calculations directly based on PI Tag Names, you need to out the tag name between quotes, e.g. 'FIC101/PID1/PV.CV' / 2.

so when you say:

The problem begins when the Customer wants to reference this PI tag, (FIC101/PID1/PV.CV), in a calculation on the PI Server. Such as they want to totalize half of this flow. (FIC101/PID1/PV.CV / 2)

I would assume this is related to a calculation that is made elsewhere, but definitely not on the PI Server.

The journey of renaming tags, in both systems, can have a lot of consequences that must be well understood, I would recommend that you bring some expertise to help you in your duties, if possible.

--

I tend to think that your real problem is to achieve the calculations, not really with the tag names.  So if you can just explain what kind of calculations you need and where you need it to be processed, we may be able to help further.

hope this helps a little,

gregor

Hello Kevin,

DeltaV Advanced Continuous Historian is an OEM product. 1st level support for OEM products is usually provided by the vendor. Have you talked to Emerson?