9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 3:40 PM by Charles Henze

AF Client Installation

XMPro_Gavin

Hi All ,

I am trying to access my PIServer from my client application .

I haven't installed any software on the client application . I am using my program and AFSDK dll . When I execute my program , I am getting the following error .

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'OSIsoft.PI.Configuration, Version=1.5.4.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c3309f0734ba2805' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I researched in OSISoft forums and came to know that I need to install AFClient on my Client application server. I am trying to install the AFClient but as part of the installation it installs PI Network Sub System .  PI Network Sub System installation is failing with the following error.

How ever I am installing the software using Admin user . I am not sure why I am getting this error .

Could you guide me

1) If there is any solution to connect to PIServer with out installing AF Client on client server.

2) If AFClient is required , then can you let me know if you know about Error 1920 as mentioned above and if there are any alternatives / options / troubleshooting .

Thanks for your positive support.

• Re: AF Client Installation
          John Messinger

Gavin,

You definitely need to do an AF client installation before deploying your custom application. Have a look at Stephen Kwan's comment in this thread. In a nutshell, there are more components needed that are not part of the afsdk.dll assembly, such as the PI Network Manager for access to the PI Data Archive.

Unfortunately error 1920 'Service failed to start' is a bit of a generic error message, and there could be varying causes for this. I would begin by looking in the Windows Event Log (System log) to see if there are any messages logged there with more details on why the pinetmgr service didn't start. If there is nothing in the log that gives any useful information, try running a Repair on the AF client installation.

mfoerster

Hi Gavin,

please check if you can manually start pinetmgr, by going into service.msc and rightclicking "start".

If you already had it installed, please make sure it is not "marked for deletion" or so , as then even as admin you cannot start it. A system restart should fix it in that case.

jnoss

Hi Gavin,

I have seen that error when some components of the AF client bundle are not installed, or they fail to install. Generally everything in the AF Client installation bundle (which is an *.exe not an MSI) needs to be installed. 

XMPro_Gavin

Hi All ,

I am installing the full bundle and while installing PI Network Manager I got the error. I looked in the Windows logs and found two log entries

1) A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the PI Network Manager service to connect.

2)     Faulting application name: pinetmgr.exe, version: 3.4.400.1151, time stamp: 0x56f621eb

Faulting module name: i-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18258, time stamp: 0x56d88222

Exception code: 0xc0000135

Fault offset: 0x00000000000ecdd0

Faulting process id: 0x1a28

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1e27c0f97e75f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\PIPC\bin\pinetmgr.exe

Faulting module path: i-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

Report Id: 4d448c3a-4e6f-11e6-80cf-000d3a12708f

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

We are working with IT to increase the timeout setting , while we do this , can any one what is the second error mentioned above . Have you seen any such issue earlier , if so what is the recommended fix ?

We are installing AF Client on a client machine which is not in any domain . Do we need the server to be in a domain for installing AF Client ?

Thanks all for your help . Are there any alternatives(or) solutions to overcome this problem .

With out installing AF Client  , will we not be able to access data from a PI Server ? can we be able to manually copy dl's ..etc ?

jnoss

Hi Gavin,

The second error looks like a C-runtime library is missing or incorrect, and that is why the service is not starting.  It needs to load the runtime library to start up, and it looks like the runtime library is not loading. When you run the install bundle, it should install all the necessary c-runtimes for the services to run. The PI Net Manager service needs to be installed and running to connect to a remote PI Server. 

When the bundle install starts it asks where to unbundle the files. If you change that to a known location, you can try running some of the runtime MSIs to see if that solves the problem.

It would help to know what version of AF client you are installing, and what operating system you are installing it on. 

Connections should be able to work from a machine that is not on the domain.

XMPro_Gavin

Thanks John ,

Let me try to install / Repair the MSI's and see if that solves the problem .

Windows Version is : Windows Server 2012 R2 , 64 bit OS

AF Client Version : 2.8.1.7549

Let me know if I need to know anything specific about my windows and AF Versions.

Thanks John ,

jnoss

Hi Gavin,

That combination is something that has been installed frequently without the issues you are encountering.  Is the system locked down in any way by IT?  That could potentially cause this problem.

XMPro_Gavin

Hi John ,

I am working with IT to see if there is anything causing this ..

While installing the MSI's it took quite a some time and I am in an impression that something went wrong while installing those MSI's , it didn't complain any error but I observed it took sometime to install them which it didn't on my local computer .

Will come back if I need any help.

Thanks once again for your help and guidance.

Charles Henze

Hi Gavin.

The installation log files for PI software are copied to %PIHOME%\dat\setup*.log.  If anything went wrong, usually a dialog indicates the issue.  However, if you know what to look for in MSI logs, you may get a clue to the specific failure.  You also may be able to find MS runtime logs in %TEMP%.

Charlie