6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 3:03 PM by Bryan Owen

PI AF Security Design

TomMcCarthyNeoPLM

HI All,

I am trying to configure my development system to allow Windows integrated security for my AF SDK application.  I have tried to configure the security in the AF Builder tool, but can't seem to get it to work.  Is there a good troubleshooting guide that I can use to resolve my issue?

• Re: PI AF Security Design
          pmartin

Hi Tom,

We have a general guide for troubleshooting connectivity here: KB01154 - Troubleshooting connectivity to the PI System

But in terms of specifics:

What kind of application are you developing?

Is it a web application, console application, windows forms application, etc?

What kind of behavior are you seeing with your program? What type of error are you getting?

If you are trying to connect to your PI Data Archive with the AF SDK, check the message logs when you run your program.

If you are trying to connect to your AF structure, verify that you can access what you are trying to using PI System Explorer.

TomMcCarthyNeoPLM

Hi,

I am writing a windows service actually.  When I run the application on

some machines I get a

Error, when I first try to open the af database.  I did notice that on the

machines that exhibit this behavior,  I am challenged to enter credentials

when using system explorer, but for those where my app runs I am not

challenged.  I have been trying to adjust the security credentials in the

system explorer, but cannot find the root cause of the problem.  I am

hoping the troubleshooting guide might shed some light.

jyi

Hi Tom,

Perhaps this article may help you troubleshooting the AF security issues: KB01039 - AF and Authentication Across Domains

Please also let us know your network architecture. Is the app node in workgroup, in the same domain or in different domain?

vkaufmann

Hi Tom,

What AF Server version are you using and what credential have you given your application to authenticate with? Can you successfully connect with that same credential that you've given your AF SDK application via PSE or other PI clients?

TomMcCarthyNeoPLM

Hi,

I believe the server version is 2012, I can get more specific information

if required.  I have been trying to enable all domain users to

automatically have rights to view the data.  What I have seen, which I

think is a bit odd, is that I can be logged in as a domain user, and launch

the PI System Explorer and I will be challenged, but when I re enter my

credentials in that tool, I am granted access.  Again it happens on

certain machines only.

Bryan Owen

Since this is a dev environment you might try opening a file share on the server to help shakedown single sign on.

Once you can remotely access shares without a challenge you are halfway home.

The next step is commissioning Kerberos, although many standalone dev environments skip this step.

btw>  at your discretion, this might be a good topic to tag as 'security'