11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 3:50 PM by Eiko Willemsen

Trend banding/zones

Any scope within ProcessBook future developments to include bands or zones on a trend background?

At the moment I use additional traces to mark "limits" - what would be nice is to provide a banded background to a trend to indicates limit zones.  Lets take sinusoid as an example, range 0 - 100.  I want to add a high limit band from 85 - 100, a low limit band 0 - 15 and an optimal band.  It would be great if it could look something like:

trend_5F00_banding.bmp

Obviously you would run ito trouble when using multiple scales unless you use some form of transparency on the colour.

Thoughts?

• Re: Trend banding/zones
          andreas

Rhys,

there is a punchlist item for a similar request. I am going to check with the developers.

regards,

MikeReid

I have built something similar before - by using VBA code to add coloured rectangles behind the trend.

I can see that it would be difficult for the developers to give us the capability / flexibility to do anything we may want in this context.

• Could we at least query the area bounded by the axes, so that we can accurately position lines / rectangles relative to the trend.

p.s. The ability to switch off teh space reserved for markers would be useful too. (Or automatically switching off on small trends.)

Mike, yeah VBA is great for manipulating trends and playing with the background transparency.

I see banding just as an extension of MultiStating symbols but applied to a Trend.  So it is based on the span of a tag for possible states - on example I posted above there would b 5 states.  If semi-transparency was available then this would be even better, multiple traces with semi-transparency then you could see overlapping zones for multiple scales.
                  I don't think it would be that difficult to implement, would happily lend OSI a hand

mweiss

Mike Reid

p.s. The ability to switch off teh space reserved for markers would be useful too. (Or automatically switching off on small trends.)

Could you explain this a bit more? Do you want to turn off the three markers that are drawn on the trace line or the marker in the legend?

MikeReid

Hi Michael,

Sorry - I've been offline for a while.

Since version 3, there has been space reserved between the trend title and the top of the Y axis, so that any markers for annotation and data quality flags etc can be shown.

This isn't a problem if you have a large trend, but if you have small trend objects embedded in a display, the space used becomes significant. The trend object automatically hides the trend title etc when the height is too small, but the space for the markers is still reserved.

If that doesn't make sense - let me know and I'll send you some screen shots.

Mike

mweiss

Value attributes can be turned off in ProcessBook under Tools>Preferences>Display Window's Show Value Attributes check box. This would remove the space you see on the Trend. However this setting is per machine and effects all symbols (not just trend). I'd suspect this would be more useful to you if it were per symbol or at least per display?

MikeReid

Hi Michael,

Yes it would be useful to be able to set this per trend.

Is there any possibility of being able to get the display area for the trend data area (i.e. the area covered by the X and Y axes?

This would make it much easier to add alarm zones or alarm limit lines etc.

Mike

brilabry

Any new updates on banding/shading to represent limits on a trend?

scm0094

Is there any update to this issue?  To add a little complexity, I'd like to have my lower limit and upper limits tied to PI tags or Data Set values that will change over time.  I've been scratching my head to try to figure out a work around and haven't yet.  Then I stumbled onto this discussion and realized I wasn't alone.

Rhys, I'm surprised that you can create a portrait of George Washington with a trend, but can't create a shaded bands or limits on a trend.  :)

ldieffenbach

Hi everyone,

As Andreas notes above, there are existing enhancement requests to allow banding and/or multi-stating of trends in PI ProcessBook. There aren't any current plans to address this in PI ProcessBook, but I did want to let you know that the trend in PI Coresight was specifically built to be able to accomodate these kinds of features. Unfortunately, we haven't put the extensibility framework in place yet to make this available for customization. We're working towards the direction. Stay tuned.