4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 8:16 PM by James Devine

PI Web API

SAMSONNARAG

Whats the connection workflow to pull data from Energysys application using the PI web API.

• Re: PI Web API
          pmartin

Hello,

Just to clarify, you are looking at pulling data from Energysys and writing it in to the PI System using the PI Web API? 

Do you have tags already created for the data or do you want to generate them at execution time?

SAMSONNARAG

We are just at the stage of designing the solution with the customer and they ask for the best option to pull data between Energysys and PI.

pmartin

I am not really familiar with Energysys and a cursory search did not reveal to me how to Energysys supports data extraction from their software.  Unless someone else on here has experience with Energysys, I suggest engaging their support.

On the PI side, the Web API is quite flexible.  You can create PI points to store data and then write Timestamps and Values whenever you would like.  The PI Web API can do many other things but without knowing the data format from Energysys, it's hard to know how you could leverage it.  If you are not familiar with programming using the PI Web API, I suggest starting with this tutorial: Programming in PI Web API

James Devine

Hi Obinna:

As you indicated you are looking for "the best option to pull data between EnergySys and PI". I am assuming you want to pull data from EnergySys and record those values in PI tags. If that is the case then you may want to consider a RDBMS Interface from OSIsoft, which will retrieve data from a relational database and record the values as time series data in the PI Archive ( I assume EnergySys is built utilizing a relational database ). Once the data is recorded in the PI Archive then you can typically retrieve the data using various client tools and developer technologies - including the PI Web API.

If you are strictly looking for tools to 'export' data from the PI Archive, or the PI Asset Framework AND you are determined to use only the PI Web API then please note you can utilize any programming platform that can make HTTP requests and retrieve the data. Once you have retrieved the data the same programming platform can presumably be used to record the data in EnergySys.

1 of 1 people found this helpful