5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2010 9:17 PM by cescamilla

importing a lot of tags

Kmeagher

Without having the fancy tools, how am I able to import into my system 2000 similar points in groups of 100. documentation is hard to drill down in 

• Re: importing a lot of tags

I'm not sure what you are referring to as "fancy tools" (and whether the PI TagConfigurator Excel add-in is part of this group), but I would definitely use PI Tag Configurator in Excel, to perform any kind of bulk operations on the PI Points database. Using the standard "copy/paste" and "fill the series" capabilities in Excel, combined with just a few clicks under the PI-SMT menu, you can get to create 2000 similar points in less than a minute.

If PI TagConfigurator is not an option for you, then I would suggest you simply use the "piconfig" command-line utility (it is located in \PI\adm on a PI Server, and in \PIPC\adm on a machine that has PI software installed but not the PI Server). You can consult the "The PIConfig Utility" section of the PI Server System Management Guide, available on the vCampus Library.

Either way you end up choosing, let us know if you need further assistance or feel free to contact our technical support team at 510-297-5828.

Development

Searching in the forums for help on creating large volumes of tags, I came across this post:

Steve Pilon

I'm not sure what you are referring to as "fancy tools" (and whether the PI TagConfigurator Excel add-in is part of this group), but I would definitely use PI Tag Configurator in Excel, to perform any kind of bulk operations on the PI Points database. Using the standard "copy/paste" and "fill the series" capabilities in Excel, combined with just a few clicks under the PI-SMT menu, you can get to create 2000 similar points in less than a minute.

I cannot find a way to get all the attributes listed for a particular tag. If I were to copy one particular tag, I'd have to manually enter all the attributes I'd need to define for my new set of tags, which on its own would take at least more than a minute!

And after that, I can not find any function to actually create a tag based on attribute/value sets in my spreadsheet. All I seem to be able to do is to query for values and work with values in various ways, not actually write anything back to PI, let alone create any new tags!

What am I missing?

andreas

Nils,

I guess you are mixing PI Datalink (living in the PI menu in excel) that handles data:235_5F00_4123_5F00_b.jpg

and the PI Tag Configurator (living in the Add-Ins menu in excel as PI-SMT) that handles PI Point creation/editing/deletion:235_5F00_4123_5F00_a.jpg

Development

OK, thanks, Andreas.

In my Excel I had no "Add-ins"-menu, so I did a little search on my computer and found C:\Programfiler\PIPC\SMT\PITagCnf.xla. It looked like the one I was missing.

In Excel's options dialog, I browsed to this add-in and subsequently activated or started it. Only then did the "Add-Ins"-menu appear in Excel.

So, I guess something possibly had gone wrong during the installation.

I will now go back to Excel to continue with my new discovery, the proper TagConfigurator :-)

Cheers,

Nils

cescamilla

Oh, the installation does not add the PI add-ons for excel for you, that is a step that needs to be done by hand.

Something to do with Excel and security things with Microsoft. So I don't think anything went worng with the installation, it just was not completed.