3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 9:09 PM by Guilherme Ferreira

Navigation between displays in ActiveView

AlistairFrith

I am trying to create a dashboard system to be viewed in ActiveView. The displays need to include links to various places including the 'previous' display. If you just add a button to open a display, I can see no way of passing any information, such as a breadcumb trail to the new display. I have thought of a solution but thought it worth describing to the community before I start experimenting in case anyone can see problems with it or suggest a better way.

Essentially, when a 'link' is pressed, it calls a procedure that opens the target display, passes the breadcrumb trail and any other information to the new display by calling some functions within the new display, then closes the current display. These displays are being generated by a .NET addin, not that this makes any difference to the problem at hand.

Essentially the question is, will this work in ActiveView? Can I have 2 displays open at once in ActiveView and can I pass information fom one to the other? My ActiveView test environment is a bit SNAFU at the moment so it's hard to verify this stuff!

--- Alistair.

• Re: Navigation between displays in ActiveView

AlistairFrith

Can I have 2 displays open at once in ActiveView and can I pass information fom one to the other?

No, ActiveView allows opening of only 1 display at a time.

AlistairFrith

These displays are being generated by a .NET addin

If this means you are creating and handling your ActiveView control from within a .NET add-in, then I would recommend you simply create and manage 2+ separate ActiveView controls, each with a separate ProcessBook display, and toggle their "visibility" as appropriate (i.e. make them visible or not in the environment you are using).

Hope this helps!

AlistairFrith

My initial testing lead me to think that multiple displays may be do-able. Having implemented the solution though, I realised that it was not!

The displays are not generated on the fly in .NET (it takes over 30 seconds to generate some of them). Instead they are created in bulk by .Net for later viewing in ActiveView. Is there a way to access the ActiveView control from the VBA of the display running inside it?

The solution I have come up with involves reading and writing a 'sessionlog' file in the user's profile folder (C:\Documents and Settings\user) to maintain the breadcrumb trail. This seems to work, with one issue:

The second time I open any given display using this method, I just get a blank grey rectangle instead of a display. This is the code I am using to open the display

Set newDisplay = Application.Displays.Open(FILEPATH & newDisplayName, True)

Is there another way to do this? I am pretty sure that before this, when I was using Processbook buttons to switch displays, it worked fine. However it is also possible that I didn't test it as thoroughly! Do PB buttons use a different method to Application.Displays.Open()?

Regards,

--- Alistair.

Guilherme Ferreira

Hello All!

I was a looking for a solution for pretty much the same problem as Alistair?

I have a PDI which opens another --Set newDisplay = Application.Displays.Open(FILEPATH & newDisplayName, True) -- then sets a variable in the new display and closes itself. It works fine in ProcessBook, but not in ActiveView. When I trie to get thisdisplay.path, it gets my temporary folder and not the path on the sharepoint server.

How can I make this work in ActiveView?

Have Alistair found a solution?

Best regards,

Guilherme