3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 2:16 PM by gregor

How to delete a PI System Explorer database definitively?

JGonzalez

Hello,

I have created a new database in PI System Explorer and imported an xml file.

After sereval modifications in the xml file, I wanted to import the new version to update my database: so I deleted my database, re-created it and imported the new xml file.

Unfortunately, my database now have each element twice!

So when I deleted the database, the content were not removed!

The only way I found to solve that problem is to rename my database before importing a new xml file. This is not a good solution.

How can I use the same database name without duplicating the elements each time I re-import an xml file?

• Re: How to delete a PI System Explorer database definitively?
          gregor

Hi Julie,

I am not able to reproduce the behavior you describe but suggest that you don't modify the XML Export. The XML Export has ID's that uniquely identify objects. If you just change e.g. the name of a referenced PI Point, you will not succeed. I assume duplicate objects might be due to your modifications to the XML Export.

I suggest you to use PI Builder add-in for Microsoft Excel if you like to apply bulk modifications.

JGonzalez

Hi Gregor,

You don't understand my problem:

I'm working on PI Coresight. My colleague is working on PI AF.

1) He exported his AF database in DB_V1.xml (contains <AFDatabase> <Name>DBTEST</Name>...)

2) I imported the xml file in a DBTEST I have created in PI System Explorer.

3) My colleague did modifications in PI AF so he exported the database in DB_V2.xml

4) I deleted and re-created my DBTEST database and imported DB_V2.xml -> all the elements appear twice!

gregor

Hi Julie,

Please accept my apologies. I would be able to ask now for installed versions but believe one of the next logical steps should be to reproduce the issue with the XML Exports that you get from your colleague.

Because I expect those files will contains sensitive information and also because the kind of issue you describe is better handled in Technical Support, I suggest you reach out to Technical Support.

Another thing of interest, likely also one of the first questions you will get from Technical Support, will be for the Options checked with the XML Export.