3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2009 7:54 AM by RJKSolutions

Server Name Alias

Armadillo

I would like to use an alias instead of physical server name in the AF PI point config string.  Right now, for this to work, each client will have to update their host file with the IP address and alias, as well as update their PI Connection Manager to use the alias.  Otherwise they will see the error 'The requested server was not found in the known servers table.'  Is there any way to implement alias on the AF server or in the config string so the client does not have to make both of these updates?  Any recommendations?

• Re: Server Name Alias
          Sam Pride

Hi Armadillo,

As mentioned in a previous post, the data references are executed on the client side. As the PI Point DR uses the SDK to retrieve the point values from the PI server specified, you will need to ensure that the server is valid for all clients. Unless an alias exists on the client side (in the connection manager or some HOST/DNS alias), you will not be able to specify an aliased server.

Whilst the PI Point DR allows you to use dynamic values for the various settings (server, tagname etc), the element attributes are not affected by the client (for example, you dont get a different version if you connect with a client from a specific range of addresses).

I cannot see a valid workaround to this (any that are acceptable), maybe one of the other PI geniuses can think of something. IMHO, however, I mostly see aliases used as a hack, so hacking around a hack just leads to poor design and dodgy implementation. The best way to combat this is to eliminate the need for aliases. Can you explain why you need to use aliases at all?

Armadillo

My understanding is the business value is generally limited to emergency preparedness situations when we physically switch to servers in another location in very short timeframe.  So we can update the data references in AF or we can have the AF end users make updates client side.  At this time, we're still planning to proceed with using PI server alias in the AF data reference.  Thanks!

PI Server Aliases are fine and perfect for scenarios where you do not have a PI Collective set up.  Sometimes you have existing Disaster Recovery Plans or existing hot standy hardware with no such luxury as a collective, so assigning a DNS alias to serverxyz.domain.com works.  Then for future hardware refreshes you switch the DNS alias to the new hardware without needing to "touch" the client configurations.

Might be worth noting upcoming HA for AF as this may help you out - certainly worth considering a collective too.