5 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2009 4:55 PM by formerpigeek

Auto sizing the rtGraphic Web Part to fit SVG Size

IanGore

Hi,

I'm currently putting together a "scorecard" sharepoint page using a combination of rtGraphic web-parts and another charting web-part (rtTrend doesn't have the functionality I need).

I'd like to have everything on the page auto-resize.  However I'm having problems with the way the rtGraphic Web Part sizes itself. 

What I want to see is something like the top part of the attached image.  Ie the Web Part sized around the graphic.  To achieve this I had to size the web part explicitly but then it won't resize.

If I don't size the Web-part explicitly, I get something like the bottom part of the attached image.  This will resize properly when I change the page size but I get the "white" space at the top and bottom of the graphic - which I don't want.

Is it possible to set up the Sharepoint Page/Web Part so that the Web part will autosize itself around the SVG?

Cheers,

Ian Gore

• Re: Auto sizing the rtGraphic Web Part to fit SVG Size
          andreas

Hi Ian,

doing some internal research it seems that this is a known limitation.

Exported SVG images retain the height/width aspect ratio that they have at the time they are saved in ProcessBook. They should expand when the container web part is sized, but the aspect ratio will remain the same. In this particular case, the RtGraphic web part is much higher proportionally than the SVG graphic.

I will check with the developer if there is any other way than the manual resizing of the web part.

regards,

formerpigeek

Sorry, but RtGraphic does not auto-size. If no sizing is specified, the default height of the RtGraphic web part is set to 400 pixels. This is done because the Adobe SVG viewer requires a height or width to be specified when contained within a relatively sized html table cell. Such is the case with an auto-sized web part. Without specifying, the height and width would be calculate to 0 and the control not visible. By only setting the height, this allows the width to size based on the web part's real estate.

Dan McGinnis

Asle Frantzen

Hi guys

I'd like to continue this thread with a question about another RtWebpart - the RtTrend.

I did ask this question to TechSupport earlier, but their answer at that time was "release date has not been scheduled for the version in which this issue will be fixed".

We have noticed there is a bug (or a feature) in the RtTrend webpart for some time now. If the Sharepoint webpartzone is wider than in "needs" to be, the RtTrend webpart doesn't resize itself, but rather adds gray background color to the right and left side to fill the width of the webpartzone.
                  This is something we sure would like to see fixed one day, but in the mean time the background color "trick" is probably good enough.

My problem is that this background color fill seems to be locked to the default gray color of the webpart background.
                  After I have finished my configuration settings in RtTrend Configuration, and have applied the Trend Formatting settings to the trend, the sharepoint page looks like what you see in the second image. You can compare it to the first image to see how it looked before I applied the design changes.

Anyone know if there are more details on the fixing of this problem, timewise?

RtTrend2_5F00_problem.jpg

First image:After trend formatting

RtTrend1_5F00_problem.jpg

Second image:Before trend formatting 

IanGore

Dan,

Thanks for the explanation.  My graphics are about 70 pixels high.

I'll explicitly size the web-parts but would it be possible to change the default to something smaller than 400 (eg 50?).

Regards,

Ian