5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 12:05 PM by Roger Palmen

Is it possible to make template with multiple elements

HansBleijendaal

Is it possible to make a template that consist of multiple elements.

We have machines that consist of multiple assets: press + pump + tank + conveyer.

These assets are together a pressline.

Is it possible te create a template based on these 4 assets, and latet treat this asset in Coresight as 1 asset.

This means that we can use the related-assets feature on the whole line instead of the individual assets.

• Re: Is it possible to make template with multiple elements
          Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Hans,

The answer is Yes and No.

Each element or element template can only be derived from one template. As a result, you cannot create an element directly derived from 4 element templates.

Nevertheless, you can create an element template A derived from an element template B which is also derived from an element template C. As a result, if you create an element from template A, you will have attributes from element templates A, B and C.

If this solution does not help you, you can create elements with attributes from different "templates" using your PI AF SDK code. This way, your script will create elements with some attributes according to a certain logic. In this case, the template is not going to be your AFElementTemplate object but it will be the script itself which would contain the recipe to generate the elements.

If something is not clear, please let me know!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              HansBleijendaal

Hi Marcos,

Maybe I can explain a little bit more:

We have a lote of lines with several assets:

Line 1: asset A1, asset B1, asset C1

Line 2: asset A2, asset B2, asset C2

etc...

A, B, C are templates.

Now I want to make in coresight 2016 one display the represents all 3 asset and make use element relative display.

How to make is in such a way that the user can switch per line.

Marcos Vainer Loeff

Hello Hans,

Do you plan to use URL parameters for controlling the presentation of displays?

One solution I can think is to separate the objects from your display in 3 new displays (one display per type of asset). Each symbol will be migrated to one of those 3 displays according to which asset it belongs to.

Then, you can develop a custom web application (only HTML5 + JavaScript code, no server side code) which will embed the 3 PI Coresight displays through the iframe HTML element. You will also add a combobox for the user to select a line. According to the line which was selected, your application will update URL parameters from your displays within the iframes programatically. Therefore, you will be able to develop a solution for your problem.

The other solution is to create a PI AF SDK script which will basically create a new AF database (based on your current AF database) with two templates for Line 1 and 2. You can develop a Windows Service which will keep updating the new AF database.

Anyway, both solutions require some work to be done.

If you are interested in this type of solution, I can provide you further details of this implementation.

Roger Palmen

I think normalisation & denormalisation.

While the basic answer is no, you could create a display-only variant of your line where the unit A/B/C attributes are in sub-attributes -> converting Element Line 1, Element Unit A, Attribute X into Element Line 1, Attribute Unit A, subAttribute X

1 of 1 people found this helpful