Steve Boyko

The dreaded ANException: EN_AnalysisNotConfigured

Discussion created by Steve Boyko Champion on Oct 19, 2016
Latest reply on May 9, 2017 by prabhatmuneshwar

Sometimes in PI Notifications (2012) you will see a notification with the status "Error: Could not start the notification: ANException: EN_AnalysisNotConfigured".

This is well covered in KB00972 and is often the result of a trigger using Natural scheduling where PI Notifications can't find a tag to watch to drive the natural scheduling. The solution is usually to switch it to a periodic trigger.

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/KB00972

I ran into this issue when I moved an AF server from one machine to another (and upgraded AF from 2010 to 2016). Many of the notifications started OK but some had that error above and would not start. I could switch them to periodic scheduling and start them, but they used to run fine with natural scheduling.

I don't know why they weren't working, but I did find a workaround. Here's what I did:

• Change scheduling to periodic, check in
  • Start notification
  • Stop notification
  • Change scheduling to natural, check in
  • Start notification

Almost always this would work and the notification would start and stay started.

I have no idea why this workaround was required but I wanted to post this as a reference and aid to others who may run into this in the future. It may have been related to the upgrade to PI 2016 for all I know.

Outcomes